And here you thought your dive buddy was just stupid...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulChristenson

Contributor
Reaction score
:D http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=4060338&dopt=Abstract
Intellectual deterioration with excessive diving (punch drunk divers).

Edmonds C, Boughton J.

A survey was performed on a specific occupational group of compressed air divers--the professional abalone divers of New South Wales. One aspect of this survey included the use of psychometric screening tests to elicit evidence of impaired intellectual capacity, which may be related to the compressed air diving. Results of the survey indicate that there is suggestion of intellectual impairment in almost half of this diving population. The fact that this diving group exposed themselves to much greater decompression stress than the more conventional professional diving groups suggests that these results should not be extrapolated to other diving populations. The results are supportive of the anecdotal beliefs that exist regarding this highly selective diving group, i.e., that a syndrome of reduced intellectual capacity (dementia or "punch drunkenness") may be present.

PMID: 4060338 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

PaulChristenson:
:D http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=4060338&dopt=Abstract
Intellectual deterioration with excessive diving (punch drunk divers).

Edmonds C, Boughton J.

A survey was performed on a specific occupational group of compressed air divers--the professional abalone divers of New South Wales. One aspect of this survey included the use of psychometric screening tests to elicit evidence of impaired intellectual capacity, which may be related to the compressed air diving. Results of the survey indicate that there is suggestion of intellectual impairment in almost half of this diving population. The fact that this diving group exposed themselves to much greater decompression stress than the more conventional professional diving groups suggests that these results should not be extrapolated to other diving populations. The results are supportive of the anecdotal beliefs that exist regarding this highly selective diving group, i.e., that a syndrome of reduced intellectual capacity (dementia or "punch drunkenness") may be present.

PMID: 4060338 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Me think this study be good

wedivebc:
Me think this study be good
LOL

An interesting experiment would be to compare this group of abalone divers to a group of other commercial fishermen. It could be that commercial fishermen are less bright than the average population anyway.

I don't know this to be the fact, and it is not a bash against these people. However, if the control groups are not addressed properly you could have any number of incorrect conclusions such as taking antidepressants increases your chance of suicide, or digging ditches results in a lower IQ.

To drag a post from the past.
I think it's the desk jockeys are "less bright",,,, they are doing stupid survey's when everyone else is fishin and divin......

To drag a post from the past.
I think it's the desk jockeys are "less bright",,,, they are doing stupid survey's when everyone else is fishin and divin......

Why no! It means that we desk jockeys get to leave the desk, go to NSW, talk to the professional abalone divers, and probably negotiate a few good dives with them.

Paid for by our research money! And published, so it's good for the career. I think that shows remarkable resourcefulness. Now, how do I get my research students to think of a project involving diving in the red sea!

Jon

P.S. There ought to be a tongue-in-cheek smiley in the list........

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom