And away we go...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So, I'm attempting my first excursion with my Nikonos V this afternoon on a wreck in 115'. I'm gonna try to get some sillouettey, loomy, creepy ghost ship upwards pointed, wide angle (15mm) strobeless photos. I have absolutely no clue or experience whatsoever, so I intend to bracket a bunch of the same shot and see what effect the various settings have. Is there any area of the aperature/focal/shutterspeed spectrum that I should concentrate on?

Kev, what film?

All the best, James

Kev, dont forget to burp the lens...

GASP...

Nooo no no no,... thats the motormarine.....

Anyone want to buy a really cool paperweight that looks like a flooded nikonos??

:wink:

Actually, let me amend that...

Assuming you're using an ISO 100 film of some flavor, my rule of thumb is 1/60th sec at f4.0, 60 to 80 fsw in clear tropcal water on a bright sunny day.

So, I'd expect the same to be reasonable for a sillouette type image from 110 fsw.

In your shoes, I'd:

1)Arrive at shooting depth.
2)Set shutter speed to the slowest I feel confident hand-holding (for me, 1/15th with a 15mm lens, you might start with 1/60th)
3)Point the camera up toward toward the surface at the angle you'll be shooting. It's important that the view of the surface be unobstructed.
4)Play with the aperture knob until the over/under LEDs indicate a good exposure. This becomes your baseline exposure.
5)Set the focus so that the infinity mark is a bit inside the depth of field indicator. This sets the lens at hyperfocal.
6)Swim around to find the right composition.
7)Hold breath until bubbles are out of upward-looking image. Click.
8)Bracket 2 stops up and down.
9)Soup film and proudly show off award-winning image.

All the best, James

fdog:
2)Set shutter speed to the slowest I feel confident hand-holding (for me, 1/15th with a 15mm lens, you might start with 1/60th)

Hey thanks man! Unfortunately I had to leave before I could read you post but, I did take the camera and had fun playing. I will spare you the actual images, but I was suprised at the amount of light in them. They are for the most part, very ordinary. One set I took from within the wreck looking out in a very dark space. They came out kind of cool but have inspired me to find some means of stabalizing the camera so that I can use slower film. I'll revisit that wreck again soon and be better prepared. Thanks again!
Kev

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom