Analox Sensor Saver Plug??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok here's the truth.............without the plug it will last 365 days........with the plug it will last 52 weeks. Keep it in the fridge it will last 12 months.....etc.........get the picture:wink:
John

The point that I was making was that nothing you do will make a cell last longer. They die when they are ready. Rebreather divers discovered this about 30 yrs ago. Every possible "trick" has been tried, none work.
John

The point that I was making was that nothing you do will make a cell last longer. They die when they are ready. Rebreather divers discovered this about 30 yrs ago. Every possible "trick" has been tried, none work.
John

So, you're saying that the amount of O2 a sensor is exposed to will have nothing to do with how long it lasts in a handheld analyzer? I can put it inline with a fill station's O2 feed line and it will last just as long as if I put it in an airtight sealed container and never take it out?

My .O2: :wink:

My Analox sensors tend to last a very long time, 3+ years. I quickly test for the ability to provide a reasonable reading with welding argon and pure O2. Zero and 100%. Anything close is good. Next calibrate it to a known source close to what you are planning to dive.

Easy to tell when the sensor is shot. The sensor, itself, is a brain-dead stupid electrochemical cell. If there is oxygen around it will automatically be chemically converted and a very small electrical current will be produced. This continues as long as oxygen is around, the reaction does not stop when the display goes out. No Oxygen, no reaction, longer life.

I just put my sensors into a Ziploc bag and flood it with argon.

This contradicts all the fundamental science and technology behind O2 cells. Everyone who has handled a few O2 cells knows that fresh cells straight form the production line last longer than cells which have spent a long time on the shelf exposed to O2. Even the minuscule amounts they're exposed to in the sealed package. And the principle behind an O2 cell shows clearly that the more O2 the cell is exposed to, the faster it wears out. Just like an alkaline battery. The more current you draw, the shorter it lasts.

First the life stated is for the cell in air...........OF COURSE exposing it to higher PO2's will shorten it's life. BUT nothing will lengthen it's life, or prevent it from dying at whenever the company says is its life (+or-).
Lowvis: If what your saying is that removing the O2 stops the reaction then why not place it in argon each time after analyzing a couple of tanks. If only exposed to say 36% for a few minutes then placed in argon the sensor should last indefinitely.
So take two sensors, use both, place one in argon the other leave in air, do this and see how far apart the die.
John

...//... Lowvis: If what your saying is that removing the O2 stops the reaction then why not place it in argon each time after analyzing a couple of tanks. If only exposed to say 36% for a few minutes then placed in argon the sensor should last . indefinitely. ...
Nowhere near indefinitely, but substantially longer. One needs to consider loss of electrolyte water. (Both issues evidenced by personal experience.) See page 6 of this link, it may help: http://www.teledyne-ai.com/pdf/lauer.pdf

I'm familiar with that document. Maybe I missed it somewhere (eyes are getting bad) but I don't recall seeing anywhere where it said that sealing it off makes it last longer. Just that low humidity tends to dry them out quicker. One would think that if sealing it off works, then the manufactures would recommend it................none do. Best response I got from a Teledyne rep years ago was "you can if you want to"
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom