Analox EII CO analyzer question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MalibuJerry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Based on the discussion here, I just purchased an Analox EII CO analyzer. Merry Christmas to me. Here is my question:

The manufacturer recommends that a bump test gas is used to check the calibration of the analyzer. Since I am going to be using this when I travel, I won't be able to take a bump test gas aerosol can with me on the airplane. How can I run this test and what are the implications of not running it?

Thanks,
Jerry

I would thnk that you do not have a problem. if you bump test at home then you know that it is working. Granted, that it could fail once you leave home, but that is not likely. If a zero reading is desired and you have had 0's for months or years it would be nice to know that it can register something other than a 0. So verify that at home before you go. You just need proof that your checker will detect something,,, more than how accurate in this situation. A completly different situation than an O2 tester.

Last edited:
Any recommendations as to where I might purchase the bump gas?

If you had a candle in a jar. Light candle and cover jar/close lid. Once flame is out wouldn't there be some CO in the jar due to incomplete combustion? Point is just to see if it registers something.

Based on the discussion here, I just purchased an Analox EII CO analyzer. Merry Christmas to me. Here is my question:

The manufacturer recommends that a bump test gas is used to check the calibration of the analyzer. Since I am going to be using this when I travel, I won't be able to take a bump test gas aerosol can with me on the airplane. How can I run this test and what are the implications of not running it?

Thanks,
Jerry

From page 12 of the user manual the recommended method of bump testing when traditional bump gas is unavailable:

3.2.2 Bump test your EII CO with your breath
1. Power the EII CO up and set the display to zero
2. Take a deep breath and hold it for 5 to 10 seconds
3. With the dome adaptor removed, exhale a slow and even breath into the dome aperture
4. Ensure that the displayed reading rises to 1 to 2ppm (smokers may see a higher sensor response)
5. If breath testing fails to raise the display reading sufficiently, then a traditional bump test should be performed as per section 3.2.1. Please see Section 5 for further troubleshooting information.

Love you guys! Breath test YES, car exhaust NO! The EIICO is perfect for travel because you can bump test it with your breath, as noted above a non-smoker exhales 1-2 ppm CO with every breath. If the EIICO is sensitive enough to pick 1 ppm, it is certainly good to catch a bad tank. Happy Holidays Divers! See you in the New Year!

We use CO analysers at work for confined space testing. We gas tested a smoker one day after he returned from a cigarette. From that gas test we determined he should be dead and that if he were a confined space, no one would be allowed to enter.

If you are a smoker, you are carrying your bump test gas with you.

Getting my Analox CO and Nx testers in the new year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom