analog depth gauge oil type?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what type of oil I can refill an analog depth gauge with?
Can I just use 3-n-1 from a hardware store or is viscosity critical?
Thank you.

??? No idea, I wonder if it's a mineral oil? That would be clear at least.

FFMDiver:
Thank you.

I believe that most of them are filled with silicone oil.

Greg Barlow

FFMDiver:
Thank you.

Why would you bother doing that? I would have a hard time to trust it if it's been emtied of oil and then refilled. Besides, a new one doesn't cost much, and if you find it used somewhere I'm sure the owner would give it away for nothing. Who use them anymore in these computer times?

KOMPRESSOR:
Why would you bother doing that? I would have a hard time to trust it if it's been emtied of oil and then refilled. Besides, a new one doesn't cost much, and if you find it used somewhere I'm sure the owner would give it away for nothing. Who use them anymore in these computer times?

I know, good point. I purchased an old Dacor w/ a bubble in it. They unscrew quite easily and there isant much too them. Its a backup.

I would agree with KOMPRESSOR, but just for the sake of debate, there is a good chance the the "oil" in the gauge is not oil at all, but glycerin. I work for a company that uses an awful lot of gauges and the filled ones tend to use glycerin because of the viscosity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom