An Insider's Look at Diving Dominica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNewsWire

Contributor
Reaction score
Last year, we covered several types of “different” diving adventures beyond my local southeast Florida shores: we went aquarium diving, fossil finding, treasure hunting and took a dip into the northern great lakes for a view of history-frozen phantoms of the deep. For many divers, those in Florida and elsewhere, one of the most common dive escapades is tropical-destination diving. Even though it’s a shorter jump, we Floridians enjoy a jaunt over to the Bahamas just as much as our snowbird brethren. So, in the spirit of exploration that I began 2013 with, I sought something different while taking part in the tradition. A trip to Dominica (Dom-i-knee-ka) was planned after talking to a variety of seasoned dive professionals and recreational dive travelers. Known as the “Nature Island,” this secluded gem kept coming up as their favorite “secret” location.
At least part of Dominica’s somewhat unknown standing is due to confusion in nomenclature: many people conflate it with the Dominican Republic, which is north, next to Haiti. When correctly pronounced out loud, the distinction is easily made, but in print, it’s more fluid.
My trip was planned around the annual Dive Fest in July, but I quickly realized I would visit there any time of year. First off, the diving is spectacular. Dominica has won several travel and diving awards over the years and is consistently ranked in the top 10 dive destinations. The most resent accolade was being ranked in the top five 2013 “Best Marine Environment” Readers Choice Awards from Scuba Diving Magazine. The island is known for its Marine Reserves, underwater topography with bolder fields and volcanic craters, as well as pristine reef systems, sheer walls, and pinnacle formations. Around her robust habitat you can find seahorses, frogfish, batfish, flying gurnards and turtles.
One of the most popular sites on the island is “Champagne Reef”, a very unique location with freshwater geo-thermal underwater springs that escape through a saltwater coral reef. It looks like you’re swimming through champagne bubbles. More than just looking interesting, these vents offer a unique experience as well: as you pass over the vents you can take off your snorkel, turn it upside down over a flow for a few seconds, then seal the mouthpiece and the top. When you surface, enjoy a drink of warm fresh water. That’s right, you can get hot water for your post-dive hot chocolate from a reef that looks like swimming in champagne. Wrap your head around that, and while you ponder such a unique place, take comfort in knowing that diving anywhere in Dominica, is going to be some of the safest diving you experience because more than anywhere else, they are very safety minded. All members of the Dominican Watersports Association are required to follow operational standers that are stricter than any diving association requires. These people are pros.
There are even wonders outside of the water on Dominica! The “Nature” in their title as “The Nature Island” is no exaggeration. She is the only island in the world that has a resident Sperm whale population, and also sits directly in the migratory path of several other whale species, which earned Dominica another of its titles, “Whale Watching Capital of the Caribbean,” with an 80% sightings rate year-round. What a great way to spend a surface internal! For land lovers there’s plenty to do over 290 square miles of lush jungle vegetation, numerous breath-taking waterfalls, the Waiukubuli National Trail, several therapeutic natural hot spring pools, and 365 rivers. You could stay on the island for a whole year and visit a new river each day. For a quick drive getaway, you’ve got options. On a short hike you can reach Trafalgar Falls, Emerald Pool or Titou Gorge. Or for the more adventurous, plan a day trip to the home to the world’s 2nd largest thermally active Boiling Lake. Other options to see the landscape without the physical activity are available. Jump on a river-tubing safari, zip-line, or go for a rainforest aerial tram ride. With such unique geological treasures, it’s not surprising to find out that Dominica was chosen as the location for filming two of Pirates of the Caribbean. If at any time during those movies you thought, “wow, I’d really like to go there,” you more than likely looking at Dominica.
How does one get to this gem location? Some visitors stop and play-for-a-day during the cruise ship season, October to April, but for most divers that’s just a tease. Dominica has been an active year-round dive destination for decades, with average air temperatures of 70-85 degrees and water temps of 81 degrees. For air travel you’ll need to fly through Puerto Rico, St. Maarten or one of the neighboring islands. A good heads up for travelers, the overall baggage limit is 70 lbs with one checked bag weighing no more than 50 lbs, which leaves 20 lbs for a carry-on. Especially when traveling with dive gear, you’ll want to be extra mindful of this when planning your packing. Departing the Americas is not usually an issue; the problem arises when transferring to a smaller island hopper where weight checks are essential. Be sure to pack accordingly.
My fellow divers, the Nature Island awaits! I’m eager to plan another trip already. Not only to celebrate her 35th anniversary of independence by swimming through champagne bubbles, soaking in a natural hot spring, and standing under a magnificent waterfall, but especially to try and glean some of the magic that helped sustain one of the largest populations of centurions on earth. Perhaps not magic, but the natural fruits that the locals say the island is plentiful with: happiness, contentment, and a high quality of life. If I were to add my own two cents, I’d say the amazing diving also helps.  
By LISA MONGY, DiveNewswire contributor

atzEnF9Iabo

More...

Back
Top Bottom