An end to the ‘domino effect’ of Liveaboards.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread seems to have gone dormant. Does that mean the domino effect is easing or destinations are still not opening up sufficiently for it to be an issue now?

I think it’s currently more likely that most have worked through the larger groups who cancel ‘en masse’ and most boats operating are operating piecemeal with last minute-use bookers.. but would need examples on the ground to verify. Interestingly my second boat in Red Sea included a diver who’s dayjob is maritime insurance (global) ... suffice it to say, it was extremely eye opening and as expected there is usually absolutely nothing standing in the way of boats getting proper insurance... most just basically don’t. There were several examples of operators who have turned down much wider ranging coverage at the same or less $$ than outdated policies they have had In place for ages...usually for absurd reasons. in essence his take on it is that anyone who claims ‘its prohibitively expensive, or that coverage doesn’t exist’ is basically just BSing because they don’t want to do it.

This thread seems to have gone dormant. Does that mean the domino effect is easing or destinations are still not opening up sufficiently for it to be an issue now?

Destinations not opening up would be my first thought. I contacted a dive operation in a pacific island. Great place for diving they asked would I like to stay on the liveaboard or book hotels through them. I replied I would rather not book a liveaboard as if they cancelled the dive I am not certain of getting a refund. Hotels or airnbnb I can stay in even if I decide not to dive on any day.

My main issue is that many countries are not yet open for travel and this may be the case until 2022 really.

If only there was a reputable reputation management service out there. Liveaboard.com is supposed to be exactly that but we've seen their review process is corrupted. Is there anyone else? Could our own scubaboard.com keep track of the various operators out there?

If only there was a reputable reputation management service out there. Liveaboard.com is supposed to be exactly that but we've seen their review process is corrupted. Is there anyone else? Could our own scubaboard.com keep track of the various operators out there?

Unfortunately not, it’s all very subjective and reviewers often get excited about the locations as opposed to actually reviewing the boats themselves. All ‘review sites’ I have found are the stereotypical 5* or 0* reviews with little in between or reliable subject matter. I personally have a network of divers who I have been on liveaboards with and know have the same general standards as I do. (So I can pretty much guarantee a valid/accurate review without multiple exclamation marks :) ). I will book a brand new boat without review, but I won’t book an existing boat unless I have someone I know who has been on it and can give me a direct review.

I’m not expecting boats to all be 5*, that’s unrealistic, but I do want to know what to expect. I do think there are some divers on this board who would do a good job of reviewing properly if we set up a Kickstarter to send them on 52 boats a year :)

First it was the cancellation issues that you speak of and we read of in a couple of threads leaving divers out of luck and out of pocket. Then it was fires and, more generally, small boat safety at sea that got me thinking. Now it's pandemics and, more generally to me, health risks relating to being on boats in faraway places. Each of these issues has progressively worn down my enthusiasm for liveaboards to the point where I cannot say with certainty I will ever take one again. Carry on.

First it was the cancellation issues that you speak of and we read of in a couple of threads leaving divers out of luck and out of pocket. Then it was fires and, more generally, small boat safety at sea that got me thinking. Now it's pandemics and, more generally to me, health risks relating to being on boats in faraway places. Each of these issues has progressively worn down my enthusiasm for liveaboards to the point where I cannot say with certainty I will ever take one again. Carry on.

I have several friends who have also decided to move away from liveaboards. It’s unfortunate for sure. That being said, of the 14 people on my liveaboards last month. 5 of them were first timers in the middle of a pandemic and all were adamant they were now hooked... I think there will be a resurgence of new divers next year onwards..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom