AN/DP Instructor with Sidemount Background in Washington State

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBlenny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In February I went to Protec and completed both Sidemount and Intro to Cave, but before I return next January for Full Cave I would like to get through AN/DP. Does anyone here have recommendations for a solid instructor here in Washington State who knows sidemount and can teach at a tech level? I'm PADI/PSAI certified, so GUE probably is a no-go for me as I don't believe they do crossovers without base level retraining.

Thanks in advance!

-Michael

GUE requires base level retraining??? First I've heard this so I'm curious.

I’m pretty sure you need a GUE Tec pass to take the GUE Tec course. I don’t think you can just show up and take GUE Tec without their training. And I also think you cannot do the course is sidemount.

I’m pretty sure you need a GUE Tec pass to take the GUE Tec course. I don’t think you can just show up and take GUE Tec without their training. And I also think you cannot do the course is sidemount.

Correct,Tech pass is required for advanced training, regrettably. However, I have heard that Fundies can be taken in sidemount now, but I haven't gotten that directly from GUE, so don't quote me on that one.

Correct,Tech pass is required for advanced training, regrettably. However, I have heard that Fundies can be taken in sidemount now, but I haven't gotten that directly from GUE, so don't quote me on that one.
No no no. GUE-F (a tech1 prerequisite) can't be taken in SM. Cave sidemount is only for cave2 divers with 50+ cave 2 level dives.
https://www.gue.com/files/Standards_and_Procedures/GUE-Standards-v9.1.pdf

There are no qualified instructors offering AN/DP in Washington State. Anyone who claims to be able to teach AN/DP in sidemount here is 1) inexperienced and 2) full of bull. Sorry to say an experienced competent SM instructor for AN/DP just doesnt exist here.

There are some options in BC but the border is closed anyway so

You can always stay an extra week and do AN/DP with them - I'd be willing to bet that doing that will give you a little bit more knowledge base, more time to get familiar with each other. I don't know if this is the right way to think about it or not but the theory, yes a great instructor is important, but the bottle handling and rigging in side mount is way more difficult.

The whole side mount cluster frick - oh how I wish I went over there for base training. Tomorrow starts round four in altering setups with deco bottles in side mount - quarantine time in the pool - round three was good but not good enough if we had problems good.

No no no. GUE-F (a tech1 prerequisite) can't be taken in SM. Cave sidemount is only for cave2 divers with 50+ cave 2 level dives.
https://www.gue.com/files/Standards_and_Procedures/GUE-Standards-v9.1.pdf

There are no qualified instructors offering AN/DP in Washington State. Anyone who claims to be able to teach AN/DP in sidemount here is 1) inexperienced and 2) full of bull. Sorry to say an experienced competent SM instructor for AN/DP just doesnt exist here.

There are some options in BC but the border is closed anyway so

Thanks for clarifying on Fundies with SM. I know GUE has been more accepting of SM as of late, and whoever told me that must have been taking it too far...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom