Amphos 2.0 w/ transmitter vs. Perdix 2 w/transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1070man

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Have a Sherwood Wisdom 3 now, but looking at doing something wireless. Looking at Amphos 2.0 and Perdix 2. I'm not a technical diver, don't use CCR or cave dive. I know the Perdix is more suited for that. I dive Nitrox. I dive solo some and am looking at getting training on it. In the future, I would love to take some training on deep diving. So, with solo, will probably be using a pony bottle with a second reg on it, possibly using 2nd transmitter (not sure). I also use Diving Log 6.0 to log my dives. The Amphos appears to log dives by USB, while the Shearwater uses Bluetooth, but have seen some who have trouble with it importing directly.

Anyway, for those that are familiar (especially have used one or both), can you give some tips. Since I'm not going to be doing much in the technical realm, would you stick with the Amphos or does some solo diving and deep diving count enough as technical to need the Perdix 2?

Thanks for any comments,
Brian

Between those 2, I would go for the Perdix 2. There is a price difference, but it's not too much. If you don't care about the alarms or the other enhancements on the Perdix 2, then you may be able to pick up a Perdix AI for less.

There are always used transmitters for sale here, so you can save some money that way. For recreational diving (single transmitter) there is really no need for the Shearwater Swift transmitter over the PPS transmitters (Oceanic, Aqualung, Sherwood, etc.).

The Shearwater has a lot of advantages over the Amphos Air that I can see. Full color screen, easily changeable battery, etc. It seems the Sherwood uses a data cable to transfer. Bluetooth is preferred immensely.

I use a Perdix, and dive recreationally. I have my screen set up in Recreational Nx mode. It's by far the easiest computer to use that I've ever tried. Lots of information available, but you can customize a portion of the display to reflect what you want to see on the main screen.

The Amphos appears to log dives by USB, while the Shearwater uses Bluetooth, but have seen some who have trouble with it importing directly.
Also, to address this. This is sometimes a problem with Bluetooth and desktop systems. Often, the problem is on the computer (desktop/laptop) implementation of Bluetooth, not necessarily the dive computer.

The Bluetooth connection works very well with mobile devices in most cases. I use Subsurface and often download on my phone while still on the boat. Sometimes between dives.

I have the perdix and had the amphos! Go with the perdix.

PS if you decide to sell the wisdom reasonably I'm interested.

Hi @1070man

There's nothing wrong with the Amphos Air 2.0 and transmitter, but it is a very old design, I believe based on the old Oceanic Atom 2. It runs DSAT, same as your Wisdom and runs two transmitters. The list price seems quite high for such an old design, $1285 with transmitter. It appears to be on sale now for $1100. I don't think that includes the USB cable, would likely cost you another $100 if not included.

The Perdix 2 has many advantages, some listed above. You might also appreciate the very flexible Buhlmann deco algorithm with gradient factors, features like SurfGF, compass, etc. Looks like the Perdix 2 and Swift transmitter can be had for $1475

Between the two, I would invest the extra money for the Perdix 2.

The user interface on the amphos is terrible. At least it was on the old version, it doesn't look like the 2.0 version has changed. Long press, short press, combination press... it's got 4 buttons! No need for that nonsense.

Why almost all of the 4 button watch style computers went with that UI, I'll never know, but that and any computer that has the default 50% that can't be permanently turned off are really my only no-gos for a computer. I won't even take one if someone gave it to me.

We had a very large fleet of Amphos for our university dive program, even the DM students could hardly remember from one semester to another how to change the nitrox mix. We had other problems with them as well, and have since moved to shearwaters. No more "How do I set my mix again?"

The UI on any of the shearwaters is intuitive enough, you don't even need a manual.

Hi @1070man

In my previous post, I was going to mention the Oceanic OCi as an alternative to the Amphos 2.0 Air, but thought it was being discontinuted. That has been confirmed in an email from Oceanic/Huish.

The OCi is being replaced by Geo Air, an air integrated version of the Geo 4. Now with Bluetooth, no cable. Looks like it will go for $800 with transmitter, big savings over the Amphos 2 Air if you decide not to go with Shearwater.

My son still dives my old Geo 2 as his backup, a solid computer

Have a Sherwood Wisdom 3 now, but looking at doing something wireless. Looking at Amphos 2.0 and Perdix 2. I'm not a technical diver, don't use CCR or cave dive. I know the Perdix is more suited for that. I dive Nitrox. I dive solo some and am looking at getting training on it. In the future, I would love to take some training on deep diving. So, with solo, will probably be using a pony bottle with a second reg on it, possibly using 2nd transmitter (not sure). I also use Diving Log 6.0 to log my dives. The Amphos appears to log dives by USB, while the Shearwater uses Bluetooth, but have seen some who have trouble with it importing directly.

Anyway, for those that are familiar (especially have used one or both), can you give some tips. Since I'm not going to be doing much in the technical realm, would you stick with the Amphos or does some solo diving and deep diving count enough as technical to need the Perdix 2?

Thanks for any comments,
Brian
Perdix AI is user friendly. Interface is the easiest ive ever seen. I have a suunto id love to drive my suv back and forth over its that annoying.

I have never and will likely never do technical dives, just love the ease of use of Perdix.

Thanks for any comments,
Brian
If you are not doing any technical diving look at the Ratio iX3M 2 Pro computer. It does Air, Nitrox, Gauge and 3 gas mixes. The Perdix has trimix and rebreather modes, which is way over kill for what you want. The good thing about Ratio is that if decide to do some tech diving in the future, you can upgrade the existing computer, so you don't have to go out and buy a new one. Ratio iX3M 2 Pro Dive Computer | Air Integrated

Thanks everyone for the information. I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the Perdix 2. Now just got to wait for the weather to get better so I can get in the water and give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom