Americans travelling to Egypt/ Sudan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Layla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone

I wonder if you can help me with something

I'm British Asian with a British passport, so I can travel pretty much anywhere in the world on my own and I don't have any problems

I have a couple of friends in LA who want to come away with me on my next trip
But, they say they will not come to Egypt
I don't know what the history is for the US/ Egyptian issues

Would you fine Californian people do the following trip:

DAY 1 - EGYPT
Fly into Marsa Alam [probably via Europe OR Cairo, not to leave the airport]
20 min arranged tour bus ride to the marina and join the liveaboard
Remain in the marina over night

DAY 2 - EGYPT
Depart the marina around 6am
Dive one day in Egyptian Red Sea
Move into Sudanese waters

DAY 3 - DAY 12 - SUDAN
Stop at Port Sudan to collect visa [guests remain on the liveaboard]
Dive 9 days in Sudanese waters

DAY 13 - EGYPT
Dive one day in Egypian waters
Night in the marina on the liveaboard

DAY 14 - EGYPT
Leave the liveaboard
Spend one afternoon at a resort
Bus to the airport Marsa Alam
Depart

I actually just returned a couple of days ago from almost exactly the same trip...liveaboard in Sudan (on the Sherazade), liveaboard from Hurgada to Marsa Alam, along with some additional time spent in Hurghada and Cairo...a little over 3 weeks total. I had absolutely no problems or concerns on any part of the trip, including Cairo. Other than the Revolution being something Egyptians were curious to discuss with me (all seemed very proud and wanted to know an American's impression of what happened), I noticed no difference in this trip to Egypt that on the two prior I'd made over the two years. About the only thing were some demonstrations still going on in downtown Cairo along with stages where some speeches were being given...but it was orderly and peaceful. The Red Sea resort cities are very different from Cairo..more westernized and touristy, with loads of mostly Europeans and Russians. and I was told no conflict occurred there at any time. I found the Egyptian people very friendly and welcoming, and always very interested that I was American--no hostility on this count--and were very interested in talking to me about how I liked Egypt as well as with issues at home in the US. Your friends should not worry in the slightest...plus they are going to barely be on land in Egypt from what it sounds about your planned itinerary. I'd urge them not only to go, but to spend some time in Cairo so as not to miss the Pyramids, etc...truly something everyone should see in their lifetime, as well as missing great diving in the Red Sea.

I bet you're going on the Royal Evolution? Let me know if you want any other info from the perspective of an American who was literally just there.

Thanks very much OC

I am looking at the Royal Evolution!!

I've been to the Egyptian Red Sea nine times, seven times on my own and spent a week in Cairo on my own
and never a problem
Seven liveaboards, two land based

I agree the Red Sea has the best diving in terms of reefs and now I want to go further south into the Sudan

I'll send my friend this link and ask her to read your words and possibly reconcider
I'll be there to protect them :eek:)

Thanks ... L

Good :). Only thing..I'm not sure how far south Royal Evolution goes, but my trip stayed Central/North. I enjoyed it, but the coral wasn't in the best of shape...apparently water temps got very high last year and there was quite a bleaching/die off event. It was ok in some spots, but not as nice as I was expecting, or saw further north in the Red Sea.

I got back from Egypt on October 15. Prior to leaving for Egypt, I did have some trepidations. Flew from US to London, then London direct to Hurghada on Thomas Cook. Picked up at airport by liveaboard staff (British company) and taken to boat. Spent the next 7 days at sea and was unaware and unaffected by the demonstonstrations in Cairo. The Egyptian boat staff were wonderful and I was well taken care of by them. Almost half of the boat consisted of American divers and the other half predominately British. Liveaboard put back in port at Port Ghalib (near Marsa Alam). Went into the town for shopping and drinks. Every thing was very slow and quite. Other than our group, I did not hear any other American accents. Locals did ask where I was from and generally guessed I was Dutch (I guessing that American are not common there), which I did not correct them on. The locals very much wanted to talk and for me to spend money. The next day we were taken by bus to Hurghada, a 4 hour drive. I then spent an afternoon and evening in Hurghada. I felt very safe while I was in Egypt (other than when faced with the ever changing and unusually currents while diving at Brothers).

Thanks for posting this bit about the reefs in Sudan, ocdiver1. I was considering a LOB in Sudan for sometime next year, I but couldn't find any/much feedback online so this is very good to know.

Would I be right in concluding that the Sudan LOB wasn't as good as the Hurghada-Marsa Alam LOB? (Egypt seems overrun with divers so I was hoping Sudan would be a bit more 'pristine.')

(sorry for crashing your thread, Layla)

Yes, honestly I was disappointed compared to the high expectations I had and I did think the Egyptian Red Sea trip I did was better. One nice thing about Sudan was that we were the only ones at most of the sites (and at most it was only one or two others). I do have a friend who went much further south than I on a trip @ a year ago and he raved about sites further south that only two week long trips make. If you have any other questions feel free to ask

No problem, Anna

I have been to Egypt many times, but need to get away from the crowds
My trip will be a two week trip so will go further south

Thanks for posting this bit about the reefs in Sudan, ocdiver1.
Would I be right in concluding that the Sudan LOB wasn't as good as the Hurghada-Marsa Alam LOB? (Egypt seems overrun with divers so I was hoping Sudan would be a bit more 'pristine.')

(sorry for crashing your thread, Layla)

Back
Top Bottom