Ambon vs. Bangka Isand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for a little advice. Most of my tropical diving has been in the Philippines. I have been to Lembeh twice and once to Bunaken. I am in Seattle so fortunately I love muck diving here and in the tropics. I would like to pair another trip to Lembeh with a new spot and was considering Ambon or Bangka Island for a November trip. I have been to Raja Ampat and it looks like Komodo is not dived that time of year. So just looking for a bit of compare/contrast to help out. But I am a bit reluctant to get on several planes just to reach Ambon.

thanks, Jason.

FYI, Komodo is perfectly diveable in November, this is the period when Soth of KOmodo can be dived.
Depending on what you're looking for Ambon is more muck oriented than Bangka, Bangka is obvioulsy easier to reach but november might be a little late for Bangka while it's optimal for Ambon.

Full disclosure, I am not an ardent muck diver. Luko is correct, the south is much more calm in November, but you might miss diving the lovely northern sites in Komodo. In addition, november in Komodo is the beginning of the rainy season (just like home for a Seattle Diver).

One other idea for muck diving is consider visiting Alor (e.g., Kalabahi Bay). My trips to Alor are a focused on the current rich dives in the Pantar Straits, but the Kalabahi Bay and other near by protected sites have lovely muck diving. Getting to Alor is a bit more easy than Ambon. Fly from Bali to Kupang and a connecting flight to Alor. Consider spending a few days in Bali for jet lag recovery - Bali does offer very nice muck diving as well. FYI, I have only visited Alor in the spring and late summer. Others might have more to add on Alor.

I love muck but besides Lembeh I am interested in worthwhile destinations I can pair with it that would offer more diverse diving to round the trip out. thanks.

I can't help with the diving but Ambon has to be easier to get to than Alor. You can fly direct there from Manado on Sriwijaya air for about $70.

I am also planning this same trip for November. I think I will stick to Manado area and if can get there, banda. If not I'll stay around Ambon.

Ambon is available on a direct flight from Jakarta, as well as Manado. As to the diving in Ambon, usually regarded as only muck, check out this gallery ...

Wide Angle Gallery | Dive Into Ambon

Ambon is available on a direct flight from Jakarta, as well as Manado. As to the diving in Ambon, usually regarded as only muck, check out this gallery ...

Wide Angle Gallery | Dive Into Ambon
This is true but that said, there are not so many wide angle dive sites on the South side or on closer Haruku island, I would hardly spend more than 3 days diving reefs in Ambon, while it's worth spending a week just for muck.
Unfortunately some of the better coral sites are located in Nusa Laut and Molana, but very few dive ops bring you there,

Ambon is certainly easier to get to than alor and would be easy to combine with lembeh in November and like luko says its high season so weather should be good. I think Ambon would provide a good mix of muck and coral dives. And is very different to lembeh. I loved lembeh but loved Ambon. Can recommend dive into Ambon. Thy hit both muck and coral sites and will take you to the flashlight cave dive. Plus I think with their new boats then can reach molana on request. Have heard great things about Komodo and alor but haven't been.

Buyat Bay is a "makes sense" pairing with Lembeh.

What about our 12,5 years Anniversary offer?

Combine the best of both world! Experience “World’s Best Critter Diving” and the “Incredible Reefs of the Heart of the Coral Triangle”, together in one trip. Two eco resorts with a lot of knowledge: Divers Lodge Lembeh opened in 2002, when not many people knew about Lembeh Strait yet. And Rob, the owner of Divers Lodge Lembeh and Weda reef and rainforest Resort which opened 2011, was the pioneer who explored the diving around Halmahera since 1989. Book any combination of staying and diving at both our resorts.

If you stay at least 14 days, divided over both places, and book a diving packages of at least 10 days, we pay the transfers* to/from Divers Lodge Lembeh to/from Weda Resort, both ways, for you.
*Normal price IDR 5.250.000 (single person)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom