Ambergris- Stay closer to town or further out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DStack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
If all goes as planned, we will be in Ambergris Sept.3rd-10th. This is our annual anniversary diving trip so we want to stay somewhere nice but be close enough that we don't need a car or taxi it. Is staying close to town a constant party/loud? We prefer a condo type place that will allow us to eat a few meals in. Any suggestions or recomendations are appreciated.

PS we are leaning towards diving with Ecologic Divers.

No, there are lots of quiet nice places within walking/cycling distance of town. And most places here are condo-type. Close to town but still quiet is The Palms, rather further out but quite walkable except at the end of the evening if you've had a skinful is Xanadu (and Caribbean Villas close by), and the acknowledged "best" is Victoria House, though this is getting quite a long hike and I'm not sure what kitchen facilities you'd have. There are lots of places in between, of course. Look at Belize Lodging Guide, Resorts, Hotels, Accommodations, Reservations, Rooms in Belize for detailed information.

Ecologic has an excellent reputation. So do others, such as Amigos del Mar, Chuck 'n Robbies, Island Divers. How experienced are you as divers and what diving do you want to do?

Both my wife and I are Open Water certified. Thanks for the advice. I'll look into those options.

Also Banana Beach is nice and very affordable although heading back you probably want to take a taxi back but its a nice place and the dive shop will pick you up and drop you off each day.

Gaz Cooper

Last year we stayed a Paradise Villas. A 5 minute walk into town. The thing that we liked is it seemed sealed off from the street traffic, and had a fence between their property and the beach. Plus it had a nice smallish pool. It was nice to lay around the pool after diving, and before walking into town for dinner.

We stayed at paradise villas a few years ago. It was on the edge of town. We liked it for the pool, price, and location. You could walk into town and get groceries or dinner, or walk out of town and find places off the beaten path...take out restaurants that are essentially out of people's houses, local bakeries, etc. We talked to a couple of people who came down for several months each year and stayed at paradise villas. They pointed us to some places outside of town that we would never have found. No car/golf cart needed.

Thanks Peter, an excellent link to where to stay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom