Ambergris Caye - Mahogany Bay - DOGS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vastag

Registered
Reaction score
Well I was supposed to dive today. Got into Mahogany Bay, a new Hilton property, last night, and the hundreds of howling street dogs kept me up much of the night. I have a muscle disorder so if I don't get a good, full night's sleep then diving is a bad idea. Had to cancel my trip this a.m. I had read alot about Ambergris Caye but had not seen anything about the dog noise. Is it just on the south end of the island? Is it quieter elsewhere? This is our first trip here. Thanks.

earplugs?

Well I was supposed to dive today. Got into Mahogany Bay, a new Hilton property, last night, and the hundreds of howling street dogs kept me up much of the night. I have a muscle disorder so if I don't get a good, full night's sleep then diving is a bad idea. Had to cancel my trip this a.m. I had read alot about Ambergris Caye but had not seen anything about the dog noise. Is it just on the south end of the island? Is it quieter elsewhere? This is our first trip here. Thanks.

We were on Ambergris in May 2018, stayed in a condo about mid-island. Don't remember hearing (or even seeing) any dogs.

Of course, we travel with a white noise machine.

Maybe someone with more regular experience will have better insight.

earplugs?

Wore my noise-canceling headphones...helped some but still a problem. Going to see if we can move to a unit closer to the front of the property. But we might want to stay here for a while and was wondering if the street dogs are everywhere on the island or just on the south side.

Wore my noise-canceling headphones...helped some but still a problem. Going to see if we can move to a unit closer to the front of the property. But we might want to stay here for a while and was wondering if the street dogs are everywhere on the island or just on the south side.

It isn't always street dogs, could be a local's dogs. I'm not sure what you're dealing with down there at Mahogany Bay.

Do you have an option to leave Mahogany and stay elsewhere? Try the room switch first and if that doesn't work out, I may be able to point you to some other places that shouldn't have so much dog noise.

That said, this is American Thanksgiving week, isn't it? Very popular time on Ambergris.

That said, this is American Thanksgiving week, isn't it? Very popular time on Ambergris.

Next week, Thanksgiving is the last Thursday of November, so it will be on the 28th.

San Pedro has a lot of noise for such a small city--the narrow streets and concrete construction seem make sounds reverberate. I just got back from a trip that included four days at a guest house north of where you are--almost to the bridge. The people and the views were lovely, but even on the fourth floor, the street noise from the golf carts and nighttime carousing was distracting. Hang in there. Hope you get some sleep and can do some diving.

San Pedro has a lot of noise for such a small city--the narrow streets and concrete construction seem make sounds reverberate. I just got back from a trip that included four days at a guest house north of where you are--almost to the bridge. The people and the views were lovely, but even on the fourth floor, the street noise from the golf carts and nighttime carousing was distracting. Hang in there. Hope you get some sleep and can do some diving.

Quite a bit busier and more noisy as a rule, up where you were staying, Scraps.

Thanks for the advice. We moved to a unit closer to the front of Mahogany Bay and it was much quieter. The cottages are new and nice and the food is delish. We got 4 nights for 3 so decided to try the place. If you do stay though, the cottages toward the back are near a neighborhood where the dogs are very noisy at night. I plan to head out with Amigos Del Mar this morning.

Edit: I should mention they spray pesticides like crazy here. We asked them not to spray right outside our room, but man, it's a little depressing. The workers drive around in a golf cart and just hose down the joint. They weren't wearing any protection either. Made me sad. Look up Parkinson's & pesticides if you're wondering about it.

Thanks for the advice. We moved to a unit closer to the front of Mahogany Bay and it was much quieter. The cottages are new and nice and the food is delish. We got 4 nights for 3 so decided to try the place. If you do stay though, the cottages toward the back are near a neighborhood where the dogs are very noisy at night. I plan to head out with Amigos Del Mar this morning.

Edit: I should mention they spray pesticides like crazy here. We asked them not to spray right outside our room, but man, it's a little depressing. The workers drive around in a golf cart and just hose down the joint. They weren't wearing any protection either. Made me sad. Look up Parkinson's & pesticides if you're wondering about it.

The resort is built on the mosquito side of the island in a major mosquito incubator. It's absolutely beyond me and many locals, what they could possibly have been thinking other than "money, money, money"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom