Ambergris Caye Dive Ops for Experienced Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Need some guidance on a dive operator that is more for experienced divers???

We are staying at Grand Caribe in October and don't want to be on a boat with a lot of newbies...

Anything like that around Grand Caribe?

NightRaven77

We've only been to Ambergris Caye once. We dove with White Sands, and I was... not impressed...

When we checked in and handed them our C Cards, my IANTD Deep/Advanced Nitrox card confused them. They honestly didn't seem to know what it was. Can you imagine the chaos if I'd handed them a trimix card?

My request for DIN tanks rather than yoke met with similar levels of confusion.

Once they finally understood the C cards (or so I thought...) one of the guides tried to convince me to take the PADI AOW course....

The reefs there are lovely. Mostly finger reefs. We were diving at about 80-85 feet when I decided to drop down into the sand between the fingers to play with a reef shark who was idling around down there. The guide became quite frantic about the dangerous depth to which I had descended. I was at 105 FSW.

And we had to thumb one dive because the guide blew through his air in like 35 minutes. The one and only time I have EVER seen a dive called because the guide was low on air.

We will return to Ambergris Caye, but I can't imagine diving with them again.

We enjoyed Amigos Del Mar. if you don't want newbies...hire the whole boat then.

Totally agree ref Belize pro divers. I’ve been diving with them for years. Ping ahead and let them know you are advanced, they will likely have Gio or Brandon take you in a separate group. Gio usually takes me off to hunt out deep caves.

We were on Ambergris this past May and used Ecologic, and will use them again when we return. A very professionally managed operation with a great staff.

Totally agree ref Belize pro divers. I’ve been diving with them for years. Ping ahead and let them know you are advanced, they will likely have Gio or Brandon take you in a separate group. Gio usually takes me off to hunt out deep caves.
When you say hunt out .....Are you referring to Lion Fish?

We are interested in doing a little Lionfish Safari as well...

Bring with you, or check with your dive op if they have, a Hawaiian sling. Lionfish are the only fish you can hunt/kill while Scuba diving in Belize, including while snorkeling in the resrerves.

It is always OPEN SEASON on those little ba$tard$!!!

go get em!! The guys from Belize Pro Divers will whip up some nice lionfish ceviche right on the dock with you!!! Grab a few beers while your at it to celebrate the hunt. :)

When you say hunt out .....Are you referring to Lion Fish?

We are interested in doing a little Lionfish Safari as well...

It's a blast. The good news is they're pretty tasty, so the crew will be more than happy to take the bucket home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom