Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker or??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grateful head

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, looking for some advice and opinions. My wife and I were in Coz last month and had a great time. We are trying to squeeze one more trip off this year, thinking first week of October. I have been researching Belize, specifically Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker but still don’t feel like I have a really good handle on it. Mainly we are looking for good diving, good food, good accommodations with a pool and or ocean front. And.... affordable as this will be a second trip this year. From what I read, Caulker seems more like what we are looking for. A relaxing, non big city or overly touristy area with good diving. A few good restaurants and hopefully walking distance to most stuff is desired. Is the diving by the local reef good or are long (expensive) boat ride excursions necessary for the better diving? Please enlighten me with some info. Thanks

Thanks, I’ll move it over there.

Caye Caulker isn't just a "not big city", it is a village. You can walk everywhere in a few minutes or less. It's the go slow island. The dive sites are the same as those from Ambergris Caye for the most part.

I used to be able to walk to most anywhere that I wanted to be in San Pedro but it has grown by leaps and bounds since I first started going there. Be that as it may, depending on where you stay on the island, it is still very walkable and a golf cart rental will get you most anywhere else you'd like to see on the island.

We started going to Caye Caulker instead of San Pedro just because of the crowds and traffic on San Pedro. Caye Caulker is what San Pedro used to be, eccentric and laid back.
upload_2021-5-8_7-8-22.png

We really liked Caye Caulker and it sounds like what you want... except there aren't many hotels with pools. Maybe there are a few but I wouldn't let that guide my lodging choices. You'll have plenty of time in the water. You won't find big chain hotels just individual owned small places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom