Ambergris Cay Dec - Jan. Accommodation and dive shop recommendations please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spestonji

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Folks

Am planning to go to Ambergris Cay from Dec 24/25 for two weeks
Any recommendations for Places to stay and dive shops please
Basically, all i'm going there for is diving :)
am a single traveler, 54 yrs old, so dont need luxury accommodations and pools and such
something clean, definitely quiet (not a party animal, those days have long gone, and need sleep to dive) and walking distance to food places :)
a condo would be fine,
dont know if Pedro's would be quiet
Budget is apporx 110 per night for accommodation alone or if some places can offer diving + accommodation for nearly the same price, that would be geat
and any recommendations for dive shops please?

Any ideas would be highly appreciated

Thanks very much
Kind REgards
Shahrukh

PS is the Belize Hole dive really worth getting up at 5:00 am :) ? I am definitely not a morning person :) :)

I agree with Ray and Pam. ambergriscaye.com has good accurate and upto date info.
A great deal of people, hotels and diveshops discussed here in the scubaboard don't exist anymore.
Ambergris Caye/San Pedro Belize is changing fast. New Hotels/Resorts and Dive Shop popping up.
Sorry Spestonji but all the blue hole trips leave at 5:30 ish. It's a good trip but in that christmas time slot you should expect a crowded boat and Hole.
Pedro's ...well quiet , not likely and it's off the beach but definitely cheap. Your budget will get you better. OH Crap ! now Peters gona be mad at me :)

Last edited:
Spetsonji, it's not so much that *just* the Blue Hole that makes the trip worth getting up for, it's truly a spectacular way to spend a day.

You're a little short on dives at this point, so if you decide to do it, book it for towards the end of your two weeks. That way, you'll have accumulated more experience and just generally be more comfortable with your gear, air consumption etc.

---------- Post added October 21st, 2015 at 06:34 PM ----------

Non-partier and Pedro's does not compute!

Please post a trip report when you return. It's nice to have reports for different times of the year!

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2015 at 08:23 PM ----------

One comment about hotel rates. If you see a place you want to stay at and its website shows a price a little above your range, you can always try calling them or e-mailing them directly and tell them what your budget is. You may get the deal you want. I have done this with some lodging facilities with some success (say 1/4 of the time). Even if they don't come down all the way, they may come down further than you think depending on occupancy. It never hurts to try!

Excellent point jlevine! I got a fabulous place in Placencia a couple of years ago for almost 50% off just because I asked nicely if they could help me out.

Thanks for the info. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'll be in ambergris caye for 2 days of diving over the Christmas Break as part of a belize tour. GF doesn't dive but I figure the Hol Chan snorkel would be worth it for her. Looks like we're staying at the Sunset Breeze Hotel. They have their house op - but I'll look and see what other ops are around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom