Am I too old for this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brilig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just turned 60 and will be retiring in a few years as an electrician doing high rise construction. I have been considering the idea of getting certified as a dive instructor for a retirement job. I would have a few years to reach this goal. I was originaly PADI OW and AOW certified 30 years ago and just returned to diving after many years away from the sport. The LDS where I was originally certified is still in business but is now SSI. The limited research I have done has me leaning toward SSI. My LDS is a very friendly place but I have not asked any such questions there yet. I feel I need to reestablish myself as a serious diver first. Replacing my 80's vintage multi color Sherwood BCD would help that!:)
So...anyone out there with insight into getting into the game late?

I don’t think you’d be too old if you were already doing it and had years of experience, but to start doing it… Well, wouldn’t it just be more fun to be a diver yourself and not have to worry about students and the kind of risks and heavy workload that entails? It really doesn’t pay, you should know that.

For me it was a matter of inclination rather than age, I'd rather dive than teach classes. If you like teaching then it would be a match. Don't plan on making any money, you could pick up a side job doing a little residential electrical work and make more than teaching for a year.

I have been a mentor on occasion and don't mind diving with new divers if I don't have something planned. There is more ways to give back if that's the angle.

Bob

Last edited:
I concur with what's said above, and add a couple thoughts:

1. If you're looking to just keep engaged, sure, go for it. I'd do it just to have something to do on a scheduled basis.

2. You might get discounts on gear, free air, etc. from your dive shop. Beats paying full price.

3. You might be able to write off some diving expenses if you're an independent contractor with the LDS.

But you're not going to make much.

I DM for reasons 2 and 3 now, and hope to for reason 1 in retirement.

Thanks for all the feedback. I keep going back and forth between thinking it's a good idea and thinking I'm nuts. I needed a reality check. I'll just keep diving and see what happens.
Thanks all.

Your nuts, we all are!

Do you plan on moving ? Here in the Keys it's basically, 365 days a year diving minus weather. You can't throw a rock without hitting three instructors. But us older guys make great boat captains, can perform maintenance, work on compressors, bend stainless tubing and rebuild valves and stuff.

Save up, find a nice tropical island and get your own dive center... Better money and much better life !

Turning pro makes sense if you enjoy teaching. In which case you can just DM or get Assistant Instructor certs. It will likely take a minimum of a couple years to complete. Equally or more important is getting in a significant number of dives, both to meet the cert. requirements and to build practical knowledge. Age is just a number. Some seniors are fit and some much younger are in horrible shape. Diet and exercise are important. We always joke that you can write your own ticket if you have a combination of DM/ boat captain/ diesel mechanic/ web designer skills.

Haha. I live on a nice tropical island and have a dive center and if I was using it to support our retirement would be in dire straights. Insurance, licensing, work permits, boat and gear repair quickly eat up any positive bank balances. Dealing with customers is only something I do on the phone or email. Never tell them who I am on the boat when I tag along because some people can become very demanding. Just make sure you know all the ins and outs before you consider take ng that plunge!!!

If you want to take the fun out of it, Make it your job.
If you're a type "A" personality and need to always be doing something, there's worse things to do in retirement.
Maybe volunteer at a dive shop for a month, then decide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom