Am I ready for it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whale Whisperer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just wondering if I'm ready to take up fundies. Do some of you out there who took fundamentals start class fully prepared, or somewhat try to make it though the class?

I'm asking because I'm interested in taking fundies and it seems like a pretty tough course to go through, but the training my instructor/mentor put me though was pretty close (I think). My instructor is GUE trained and trained his students in this way of diving (including equipment). He trained me and his students to be able to control movements in the water column without any problems, gave me beatings left and right with mask removal drills, valve drills, s-drills, line laying, etc etc. I mean he was tough! If my trim was ever off, he scold me I could hear him through his reg especially when I killed him, myself, or my buddy during drills "Your dead! Your dead!!!" ha ha.

Is my level of skill up to par? I guess the only way I'll find out is if I take the course and hopefully pass lol. What was your experience?

And why is there so few instructors out there? Is it that difficult to become an instructor aside from budget limitations for people like me?

Sounds like you've HAD Fundies . . . !

Seriously, it sounds as though you've had a lot of the in-water skills that are involved in the class. I'd certainly not worry about being prepared for it. I took the class at 60 dives, and had none of your preparation. I didn't pass, either, but did eventually.

Being "ready" to take Fundies has more to do with your attitude than your abilities as a diver. The skills can be taught ... and will be ... but the desire to learn, and the willingness to put in some real effort has to come from within you.

Don't expect to "pass" the first time around ... expect to learn how to improve your skills. That's the real value of the class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Being "ready" to take Fundies has more to do with your attitude than your abilities as a diver. The skills can be taught ... and will be ... but the desire to learn, and the willingness to put in some real effort has to come from within you.

Don't expect to "pass" the first time around ... expect to learn how to improve your skills. That's the real value of the class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, that may be the best answer I've come across on this subject. I'm not obsessing about my class in two months (err, six weeks), but I will say a point came where I decided it was "time." It has motivated me to pay attention to the details on my trim and buoyancy when I dive . . . and certainly got me out there doing skills a bit more.

To the OP: three of us are taking fundies in late April, we were all careful about picking the right "team." Based solely on my conversations with others who have taken the class, from the sound of it, you have the core skills together to do well in the class . . .

Our team for the class is diverse. One guy is a terrific diver with thousands of dives, many in the military, and quite a few solo. Another is a self-proclaimed DIR agnostic, who is quite capable in the water. Then there is me, a baby diver with ~100 dives. I know all three of us will be pushed in different ways in the class, and I think it will be beneficial for all of us.

Well I'm always ready and willing to learn, so I'll be ready as I'll ever be! The only thing that bothers me about the possibility of failing is having to take another class and going further into debt lol.

could be worse, you could spend it on a woman. every penny spent on becoming a better diver is worth it and that's the truth.

All that you need to be "ready" is:
1) be willing to change your gear to a standard DIR config,
2) a desire to improve your skills both inside and outside of class,
3) a humble attitude and willingness to laugh at your cockups.

Passing vs. provisional is irrelevant. I passed DIRF but was provisional in tech for 5 months. Big whoop. I have never heard of anyone "failing", you'd have to be really dangerous in the water or drop out to get a "fail". So don't worry about that part.

Sea-Jay:
Or you could just not pass the swim test... that would fail you.

True but they are pretty generous with letting you retake it a couple times to pass if need be. At least I have heard that from the poor swimmers I know. I have not heard of this actually limiting someone. 'Course I have small sample size.

Carribeandiver:
could be worse, you could spend it on a woman. every penny spent on becoming a better diver is worth it and that's the truth.

Hahahahaha yeah, been there done that. I do want to be a better diver and always working towards that goal :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom