Am I bent???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue32

Reaction score
I just went for my open water certification this weekend. Everything went great and I had a blast. This morning I woke up with some pain in my elbow, for no apparent reason. My dives were well within the no-deco limits. Here's my dive plan. I did 3 short and shallow dives on saturday and on sunday I dove 20 ft for 45 min, 2:00 SI, then 23ft for 23 min, :17 SI, then 23ft for 20 min, :55 SI, then 24ft for 25 min, :13 SI, then 24ft for 20 min. The pain seems to be getting worse. I'm a little sore from all the swimming but this pain in my elbow feels like it's in the bone. Could I be bent?

Dispensing medical advice over then net is an iffy proposition. I’m not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.

So I’m not going to comment on what you should do. However, if I had done similar dives and it had taken that long for any pain to show up I would assume I had strained my elbow doing a new activity. I’d take some aspirin (not Tylenol or any other painkiller, aspirin) and if I still had pain the next morning maybe then I’d start worrying.

That’s what I’d do, and I could be completely wrong too.

Roak

Ps. And the next day I'd call DAN and join:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

One thing to consider....

On OW cert weekends you often spend time lugging tanks and other heavy gear for longer distances for the first time......it can be very easy to strain muscles, ligaments, etc. Perhaps your elbow is just crying "foul" after being abused all weekend...?

I'm not a doctor either....so take my comments with a grain of salt ;-)

Dear blue:

If you were diving this weekend on those minimal dives, I would be surprised if “bends” pain was increasing on Tuesday.

Dr Deco
:doctor:

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Can I have your stuff???

Sure, you would look real sweet in my pink equipment... :eek:ut:

You were right doc, I'm feeling very little pain this tuesday. I guess I just strained it or knocked it around on something. All better now! :D

Originally posted by blue32

Sure, you would look real sweet in my pink equipment... :eek:ut:

I want to see UP in your pink gear :D

Ty

DCS can happen at any depth, don't take diving shallow depths lightly. Although extremely unlikely if you follow the tables or a dive computer correctly, you can get bent at shallow depths.

Back
Top Bottom