Aluminium Backplate for Sidemount Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robertalmario

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any one using Aluminium back plate with Harness for sidemount diving?

If yes, what ind of lift and lift capacity did you use?

deluxe_harness_main.jpg

Yes. Planning to setup toddy style but most of setuo that i saw, they are using 2 backplates.

Is it possinle to use only one? And what lift should i use?

Can we say anything to dissuade you from this plan? Because seriously, that toddy style stuff sucks.

I was trying to find the words............^^^^^^^^

As a permanent rig NO!, but if you're just want to try sidemount before making the plunge to buy gear, you can use your backplate & wing. Don't even think about entering an overhead environment with it, The hard plate is a no-no .Place the wing in front of the backplate, to prevent tacoing.(see attached)
Try_sidemount_nomad.jpg
A couple of DR book bolts will secure the wing, or ss carriage bolts, will do. A backplate with series of holes on the sides works best , for attachment of the tank bungies. I used a Dive-Rite rec-wing, which also has loops to tether the wing to the waist belt.
Again this is not a permanent set up just a jerry-rig to let you try side mount out.

I have used a dive rite rec model bcd to do many sidemount dives. You can do that because the wing can be pinned to the plate using the built in wing cover loops and some Velcro double sided strips or pieces of bungee. This prevents taco issues.

The donut shape of the rec model works quite well for this as you can control the bubble. Horseshoe models not so much. In some situations, I prefer that setup to my Stealth TEC.

You can achieve the same effect by sewing in some loops in the outer cover like the dive rite rec. sticking a bladder underneath the plate is not a good idea even on a temporary basis.

Thank you @mddolson. I have been trying to find out what was the purpose of the"Toddy Style" and if I could side mount my Mares 10mm SS BP for over a year now. You're post and picture have answered those questions. At present I dive a Dive Rite Nomad La and love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom