Altitude diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the nearest location from DC where this course can be conducted?

What is the nearest location from DC where this course can be conducted?
And I have to ask the question. . .

Why?

Other than to collect yet-another merit badge, there are no new skills required, and if you're like the vast majority of recreational divers, diving at altitude is just pluging the proper altitude compensation into your dive computer. As with other dive variables, there is more difference between the different recreational computer NDL algorithms than the difference the altitude compensation applies (except perhaps if you've found fresh water somewhere above 10,000')

And I have to ask the question. . .

Why?

Other than to collect yet-another merit badge, there are no new skills required, and if you're like the vast majority of recreational divers, diving at altitude is just pluging the proper altitude compensation into your dive computer. As with other dive variables, there is more difference between the different recreational computer NDL algorithms than the difference the altitude compensation applies (except perhaps if you've found fresh water somewhere above 10,000')

Some of us might be interested in dive sites situated at altitudes. If you want to do significant diving at altitudes on a consistent basis then training may be needed right?

Everything is exactly the same except for the timing and stop depths, right?
Then there's driving up another 2,000 feet over the pass on your way out on the last day right after you pack up your dive gear. Oops!

Actually, I enjoyed taking the time to learn the theory and get a better appreciation for the increased theoretical depth, and the increased gradient upon surfacing.
I'd say the course was worth a weekend.

Lake Tahoe, CA
6,002 feet MSL

But yeah. A good computer will protect you. If. But who looks at the little mountain symbol in the car? I mean, the dive's over, right? :confused:

Then there's driving up another 2,000 feet over the pass on your way out on the last day right after you pack up your dive gear. Oops!
Fair point. But that is in the BSAC material.

I see an altitude diving course as information rather than a skills improvement course. I'm fine with a good published (professional?) treatment.

Just me. I save my training dive dollars for skills improvement.

We (the shop) occasionally go to Mt Storm but it's a pain in the butt. Have to haul the boat up, there's nothing there as far as facilities, and since no one's really been diving it, the underwater stuff is falling apart and gotten trashed by fishing. The lines that might still be there will be full of hooks.

Back
Top Bottom