Alternatives to "xtra long pattern" DSS Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naui_bigfoot

Registered
Reaction score
Since DSS is currently not making the long pattern or xtra long pattern - I'm curious as to any alternatives out there. I'm 6'5" with 36" waist and want to go the BP/W route. I know Zeagle will custom their blackinflate design but id rather a plate.

Other than keeping my eyes peeled for someone selling a backplate in my size - are their any alternatives to the long or extra long size?

A freedom plate in long or a standard plate worn a bit lower are, in the case of the former a better alternative and the latter a workable solution until you get the FP or DSS.

Did you check if John at Northeast Scuba Supply has any?

Grab it while you can! They are so worth it. I am 6'-7" and have a long ss, and kydex, and an XLong ss.

Thumbs up for NSS. I ordered the short kydex plate on my morning coffee break on Wednesday, they shipped it before I had even gone to lunch, and it arrived on Friday.

Any idea where I can snag a couple DSS wedge blocks and cam bands?

I'm trying to decide between SS and Kydex. I have mainly cold water/7mm wetsuit diving locally and i travel to warm destinations where im assuming AL tanks are used mostly. Leaning toward SS

For cold water single-tank diving, SS is generally preferred because of its negative buoyancy. Steel on your back (usually 6-7 lbs. with a STA) takes lead off your belt!

For doubles, either option might work depending on needs. SS replaces added weight. Kydex plates are only slightly negative, so they might be helpful in a configuration where you need to reduce overweightedness.

(I bought my kydex plate for my cave doubles rig. Cave divers can be overweighted by their tanks alone, before any ditchable weight is considered.)

Further edit: I use an SS plate for single-tank diving at home in the Great Lakes. I took that plate with me on warm water vacations and it worked just fine. In Lavacore, I could dive comfortably with no additional weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom