Alternatives to Neoprene Booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kablooey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is there an alternative to neoprene booties for warm water diving with open heel fins, that can also be used as regular street shoes?

I'm building a light-weight ultra-minimalist gear set for travel, and if I can wear them on my feet that's one less thing in my carry-on.

Maybe Chucks?
Has anyone dived in street shoes?
In warm water is the insulating properties of neoprene really necessary?

Or am I just taking this idea too far?

K.

Actually yes, people dive Chucks all the time. I've considered it myself, but they don't seem to fit me to where they're comfortable. Poseidon actually makes a pair for diving, but I think they're for cold water and drysuit diving.
Poseidon One Shoe Dive Boot, Black/White

Actually I thnik they're neoprene but still that style.

Is there an alternative to neoprene booties for warm water diving with open heel fins, that can also be used as regular street shoes?

I'm building a light-weight ultra-minimalist gear set for travel, and if I can wear them on my feet that's one less thing in my carry-on.

Maybe Chucks?
Has anyone dived in street shoes?
In warm water is the insulating properties of neoprene really necessary?

Or am I just taking this idea too far?

K.

K...

Any light street shoe would work including CT's as long as the fins foot pocket is large enough to be comfortable and not cramp/pinch your toes...

Walking around all day on land with water soaked runners may not be the best plan...

Look at Poseidon's ''One Boot''...again...same fin foot pocket size applies...

Don't over-think this...how much space does a pair of light neoprene fin shoes take up...especially the 3mm low cut type...

W...

wet socks.png
one shoe.png

chacos work too depending on the foot pocket and where it presses against the strap. I dove last weekend and the weekend before in chacos with no socks in deep6 eddy fins.
The Poseidon one shoe is neoprene, chucks work too. The problem with both of those is you won't want to wear them as a street shoe because they'll stay wet for quite a while which is not good for your feet

I use Chucks for drysuit diving, and I can confirm that they stay wet a LONG time. I put mine in front of a fan and that helps them dry out overnight, but if you don't do that it will take several days for them to dry.

I have a pair of Chaco Outcross Evo water shoes that I often bring with me on warm weather vacations where I plan on doing some sort of water activity as well as hiking. They drain quickly, dry quickly, and are very comfortable. I haven't tried them diving, but I would probably wear a thin neoprene sock with them if I did. Otherwise I think my feet would chafe. But that's just me. The soles and heels of my feet are like rhino skin, but the tops are much more tender.

Chuck's work well but in saltwater the canvas ones don't seem to last long. I bought some Cordura ones at a Converse outlet and the jury is still out.

What about a pair of webbing strapped sandals that are meant to be used in the water? Maybe a pair of Lycra socks underneath to prevent blisters while diving.

What about a pair of webbing strapped sandals that are meant to be used in the water? Maybe a pair of Lycra socks underneath to prevent blisters while diving.
I've used water socks with water shoes when hiking in the Colorado Plateau. Not sure how well they'd stand up to salt water, but worth a shot.

I never bought Chacos because they feel very heavy, compared with Teva, Nike and other similar sandal brands. But here is an idea:
MG_7439_thumb.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom