Alternative to Suunto SK7 Compass Wrist Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lv2dive

Formerly known as KatePNAtl
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I seem to recall a thread referencing an alternative to the Suunto SK7 that people were very excited about - in fact, people were replacing their SK7s with this new option. But I can't find this thread/alternative. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

The mount is easy, you get it from DSS. The question is how to bungee it. I used the idea from one of the board members:
http://h2ogeek.com/misc/sk7boot/

The 3/16" bungee works best here because you want stiffness when you turn the bezel. Also I rotate the mount maximally so the lubber line points forward while the elbow is held at a more relaxed angle than 90 degrees. If you want I can post photos.

Adam

Last edited:
I seem to recall a thread referencing an alternative to the Suunto SK7 that people were very excited about - in fact, people were replacing their SK7s with this new option. But I can't find this thread/alternative. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

An alternative compass or mount?

Sorry I wasn't more clear - I thought I had read a thread a while ago, speaking to a COMPASS that was an alternative to the SK7... and there was a dss wrist mount available for whatever compass i am thinking of...

If it's an alternative to the SK7, you're probably looking for the Uwatec FS-1.

-B

How do those compare? The SK7 allows a large deviation from horizontal plane, but one problem I've had with it in the DSS mount is I've had the part with the lubber line pop out of the notch. So before diving I always have to check that the lubber line is pointing correctly in the side window and that the lubber line will not rotate when I turn the bezel.

My understanding is that there is no compass more talerant of tilt than the SK-7. The problem with them is that they don't last very long -- eventually the plastic develops some kind of micro-cracking, the compass loses fluid and sticks. Home repairs aren't very easy or successful, and the modules are $70 apiece, which is kind of expensive if you are replacing them every couple of years.

+/-30* tilt .. newer models of Sherwood & Oceanic do too , but I hate that oceanic arrowhead marker

61005_IMAGE_SMALL.jpg
Elastomeric Bungee Ready Mount for Uwatec FS-1 Compass

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom