Alternative tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

downdeep

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
or perhaps I should say additional gratuities. When we go to the islands we try to email the resort/dive shop staff to find out if there is anything (within reason) that we can bring them from the states - things that may not be readily available for them. Usually things like recent release CDs, cassettes, DVDs, books, etc. We give them to those who do a good job for us as an addtional "tip".
I would be interested to hear what other "booty" dive boat crews and resort staff would appreciate. Any story about an item given or received that can be shared?

Again, the operative phrase is "Within Reason......"

Before I went down to Cozumel this winter, I was asked by one of the employees at the resort I was staying at if I could buy a Gamecube and a few games for his son and they would pay me back upon arrival. This worked out good and they were thankful and helped us out over and above what they would usually do.

This isn't really a "alternative tip" i guess, but fits in with the topic.

Hey Divemaster - would that mouthpiece be a SeaCure? Did you leave those boots and skins on purpose?
Where in TN are you from?

Dav - That's exactly what I'm talking about. We did something similar with a photo pro on one of our Bonaire trips.

I don't consider a tip exactly, but when headed down to Cozumel I'll scoop up the last 3 or 4 issues of any scuba magazines I have around. Amazing how many times I'll see them being passed around by the DMs over the next few days.

I never think of it in advance but it's a good idea. I do always take books and magazines to read and leave, which makes my bag lighter on the way back as a bonus. National Geographic seems to be very popular. We gave someone a package of Fig Newtons once which was a suprisingly big hit, almost more so than the cash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom