Alternate Route Back to Town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwtr1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When in Bonaire last year, I became confused about exactly where the Queens Highway turned into one-way traffic (just past Karpata I think). Also, it appears as if there is a dirt road to return back to near Oil Slick Leap instead of going thru Rincon. Has anyone attempted that?

Any info would be appreciated!

When in Bonaire last year, I became confused about exactly where the Queens Highway turned into one-way traffic (just past Karpata I think). Also, it appears as if there is a dirt road to return back to near Oil Slick Leap instead of going thru Rincon. Has anyone attempted that?

Any info would be appreciated!
That dirt road goes up a steep hill, then down a steep hill, and is very rough and VERY rutted. Try it at your own risk, and NOT in muddy conditions.

As I remember, the one-way starts at about 1000 steps, and becomes two-way again at Karpata dive site (not the Karpata region sign).

And tursiops has it. The only time I tried it we needed donkeys instead of a truck.

Hi, just some information. There is no road called Queens highway, Google has it all wrong. That road is called Kaminda touristiko, Tourist road. That is the only official name.

Little past 1000 steps there is a sign one.way. From Karpata it changes into a normal road again.

Please make it yourself easiest by just using the main road up and down into Rincon and then back to Kralendijk. The dirt road may have more holes than you expect and especialy after some rain don.t use it unless you are familiar with it...

Nice mountainbike road though :wink:

That dirt road goes up a steep hill, then down a steep hill, and is very rough and VERY rutted. Try it at your own risk, and NOT in muddy conditions.

We often take the Blue trail (blue rock). Like mentioned here steep up and down. Not any worse than driving in park, well maybe a little.

It is a bit faster than taken the long way back. Brings you to Santa Barbra Crowns at the turn West toward oil slick.

Ok, as an update, I’m in Bonaire now and have taken the back road a few times averaging 13 minutes back to near the turn to oil slick. Definitely a time saver and no worse than driving in the park (or past Bopec). Way up to the antennas is somewhat rough, but overall it was no problem. There is a residential area at the top and several parts were paved to prevent washout. Up to you, but it was nice to do Karpata and be back at oil slick within 15 minutes. YMMV

I have not driven that road in a few years but this thread piqued my curiosity so we tried it a couple of days ago.

In distance it is definitely shorter. In time, it is only shorter if you have a rental truck! In your own vehicle if you wish to preserve the tires, tie rod ends and the rest of the suspension and avoid scratching the paint you must go so much slower that it ends up taking longer. You also use more fuel at that pace than top gear cruising. Plus, with the exception of a couple of nice vistas, the tunnel of dirt road through a curtain of thorny bushes does not compare with the views of the geology, cactus, donkeys, crashing waves and such you get on the relatively smooth transit around the circle. Plus, for us, packing a picnic and enjoying it at Gotomeer or Alta Vista and then enjoying the relaxed drive back are a feature of a Tolo or Karpata dive.

Agreed the road is not materially worse than the egress from the park after Slaagbai, but if there was a smoother option there, I would take it, too.

So, for us, we won’t be repeating the “shortcut” experience any time soon!

agd

Back
Top Bottom