Altama boots for Cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davecampbell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,
been on the hunt for a sturdier boot lately... My Bare 7mm booties are just too flimsy for me. They're warm enough, but don't provide much in the way of a sole. Was considering the Deep 6 5mm rock boot style, but they've been out of stock forever in my size. I also like the looks of the Altama maritime assault mid, and they seem quite popular, but I'm wondering how to acheive some thermal protection? I'm thinking of a 5mm neoprene sock, and slightly oversized Altamas... is this what people do? or am I going in the wrong direction? Thanks, and open to other suggestions...

I should mention I just got a size large in the deep 6 eddy. I wear a shoe size 8-9 depending on the shoes, and have some room for "growth" with the L. With the springs in the middle setting, they fit fine with the 7mm booties, but there is a bit of extra width available. I was also able to get a sneaker into the toe pocket easily enough.... at least I'm not completely out to lunch with the idea.

Disclosure - I have yet to dive the these combinations (CV + life = dive delays) this is all dry-fitting.

I typically wear a size 9 (+/-) shoe. I got 10.5 Wide Altimas for use with my AL Fusion (cloth-socked) drysuit. The 10.5 Wides are:
- comfortable with a heavy wool hiking sock inside the drysuit
- comfortable with a 3mm neoprene sock over the drysuit
- a bit too tight with both, but I have to try removing the foot bed pad - I'm hoping that will do the trick.
I would go for an 11, but I believe that the wides are only available in half sizes.
The best pricing that I found was from LA Police Gear (Search Results - LA Police Gear). They periodically run 20% off sales on the Maritime Assaults. I have found that right now if they don't see it in-stock on Altima's on-line inventory their system will refund and cancel the order. I finally sent them message immediately after the re-order saying not to just cancel, but give me alternate color options or I'd wait - that did the trick.

The 10.5 Wide seems to fit the XL Eddy pocket pretty well. Certainly room for more, but hopefully acceptably snug for performance.

For wet diving I had bought new SeaSoft 6mm Stealths SEASOFT STEALTH™ 6 mm Booties - Booties (for the same reason you are looking - a good sole, and in my case, a wider fit.) I have the size "M" and they fit the XL eddy pockets similarly to the Altimas.

I should mention I just got a size large in the deep 6 eddy. I wear a shoe size 8-9 depending on the shoes, and have some room for "growth" with the L. With the springs in the middle setting, they fit fine with the 7mm booties, but there is a bit of extra width available. I was also able to get a sneaker into the toe pocket easily enough.... at least I'm not completely out to lunch with the idea.

No the idea is solid. I know a few divers that do the same idea but with converse sneakers (usually 2 for $50 US at their US outlets). The two divers that I know well that did the freediving sock + sneaker route, both went up a fin size when transitioning from a 7mm hard sole boot to the sneaker combo.

I am bit surprised you find the bare 7mm flimsy, those are actually one of my default recommendations for rough and tumble, don't worry about hiking in to a dive site, or going over rocks wet suit boots. Its what I use about half the time and unless I'm in a drysuit with rock boots my absolute go to for rocky wetsuit entries.

I also looked at these Seac Pro HD 6mm Boots, but im kind of liking the idea that the socks can be removed and turned inside out to dry. My current boots stay damp for days...

edit... I'm also thinking the boots may also fit when I go drysuit with compressed neoprene socks... I think they're typically 3mm?

I also looked at these Seac Pro HD 6mm Boots, but im kind of liking the idea that the socks can be removed and turned inside out to dry. My current boots stay damp for days...

edit... I'm also thinking the boots may also fit when I go drysuit with compressed neoprene socks... I think they're typically 3mm?

They are, but the boots are normally sized with undergarments in mind. My DUI rock boots are a normal to me size but can fit 3mm neoprene booties, hiking wool socks, and then 4th element socks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom