Alor October - How many mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thesyntax

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
we are doing a liveaboard from Ambon to Alor in early October. According to the tour operator the water should be 26-28°C in Ambon an Banda Sea. But it will be 2-5°C colder in Alor, where we spend 2 days.
We plan on bringing our 3mm wetsuit and dive with that in Alor as well. Alternatively we would have to bring our 7mm wetsuit as well for just 2 days in Alor, which would result in a much thicker/heavier bag.

Any recommendations for that problem? We uasually don't get cold that quick, but haven't dived in 22°C yet.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Alor is cold. I have seen 18 or 19 there. A 3mm wont cut it. I am convinced the minimum one should bring to Indonesia is a 3 mm (but a 5mm would be better), 3 mm hooded vest, and 2.5-3mm shorty to layer as conditions change from day to day. I am an admitted warm water wimp, but I dont care who you are... when diving all day every day, the more neoprene the better. When you plunge headfirst into a shimmering, freezing Indo upwelling at 15 meters and five minuets into the dive, you will thank me.

Alor is tricky.
You can have 26C in the north of the strait while it will be 21c on anemone city.
You never know.
Personallly I always dive with a 5mm even when it is 28C and bring a sharkskin that I put under my wetsuit whenever it comes colder than 25.
I prefer the onion peel technique than the 7mm thickness.

I'm on a trip right now through the Banda Sea including Alor and later I plan to go to Alor for 10 days.

I have two layers of sharkskin, a neoprene hooded vest, and a thick neoprene hood. I hope it will be enough!

- Bill

I rolled into Anemone City in a 3mm and a hooded vest. I think they said something about woebegone sharks or... heck I dont know. I was back on the boat within ten minutes pretty much frozen.

Bring layers. I dove there in June and used a 5mm most of the time, adding a hooded vest on a few dives where we headed further south or into the southern currents. The LavaCore hooded vest is a good choice. I also used a light 1mm hood on most dives which helps a lot.

Should I buy more layers if I get a chance?

I plan on heading to Alor in the near future... As a proud warm water wimp I will bring a 3mm, a full Sharkskin, 2.5 mm shorty, 3 mm hooded vest, a 1.5 mm hood. If I find a 5mm I like between now and then will bring that instead of the 3mm.

I like my Sharkskin, but am not a total believer yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom