Alor 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did Alami Alor and loved it. The bungalows were lovely, simple with no fridge or kettle. They were super comfy and were almost on the waterline. Is was cool to be in bed watching the tips of the baby black tips movie guide around in the water. The food was great and the owners and management couple were delightful. It was valet diving at its very very best. And the diving , wow, absolutely out of this world.

I'd vote for Alor divers, beautiful beach, wooden spacious and breezy bungalows with a large table and all the plugs you want for all the cumbersome photo accessories, tasty and healthy food (the french/slovenian owners keep an eye on what their customer eat). Friendly atmosphere all around a table.
Two speed boats allowing separate small groups. Best location for wide angle and pelagics.
Opened earlier much before Alami (2006 I think while Alami is 2014), hence a better knowledge of the whole strait..
I'd say Alami is much more macro oriented inside Kalabahi bay.

I just got back from diving 3 weeks with Alor Divers because Alami Alor was fully booked. Different diving at the 2 resorts. AD is mostly reefs, drop-offs & some micro. AA is mostly muck & some reef. It's a great mix to dive with both resorts. Pantar & Pura have some of the most beautiful scenic dives that I've ever made. The channel between Alor & Pantar has a lot of water action - stronger tidal changes & currents that may change direction at depth. Kalabahi Bay is generally calm to mild. AD made 2 boat dives/day while I was there (usually 8am & 2pm depending on currents). Unlimited dives on their 400m house reef. The channel can have whales, mola mola, orca, dolphin, sharks, sailfish, etc. More possible sightings with AD since they spend more time cruising the waters. Before I left AD I phoned AA regarding available space next year. Scheduled back to back stays at each resort. (Easy boat transfer.) Can't wait to get back.

Scheduled back to back stays at each resort. (Easy boat transfer.) Can't wait to get back.
Shucks!! Why do one when you can do both!! Now I'm jealous!

AD made 2 boat dives/day while I was there (usually 8am & 2pm depending on currents)
This schedule really works well for me and my family! I dont like being away from the kids all morning so one dive in the morning and one in the arvy works really well. Typically how far away were the dives from AA?

I forgot to mention that dives at AD were usually 75-90 min vs the normal 60 min. AA is about 30+ min from AD. Both resorts only take 12-14 divers. Thus the need to book early.

This schedule really works well for me and my family! I dont like being away from the kids all morning so one dive in the morning and one in the arvy works really well. Typically how far away were the dives from AA?
Usually Alor Divers rotates the dive schedule every other day :
- every two days, a local dive in the morning + a local dive in the afternoon. you can add a housereef dive at 11AM
- every other day 2 morning dives further away (Kalabahi bay, Pura, etc.), you can add a housereef dive at 2PM
But since there are two speedboats, I guess you can arrange going mostly local if needed. that said you will miss some of the best sites.

Usually Alor Divers rotates the dive schedule every other day :
- every two days, a local dive in the morning + a local dive in the afternoon. you can add a housereef dive at 11AM
- every other day 2 morning dives further away (Kalabahi bay, Pura, etc.), you can add a housereef dive at 2PM
But since there are two speedboats, I guess you can arrange going mostly local if needed. that said you will miss some of the best sites.

Good to know!! Thanks Luko!
Every other day can work too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom