Alona Beach, Bohol municipal dive fees & more - get ready to pay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The Ordinance was approved in February of 2008.
The notices were posted along the beach yesterday (March 2, 2011).
The fees will start being collected March 5th

alona_fees.jpg

Last edited:
So if I come back and dive again, I'll be paying -

P10 (a), P100 X 3 days of stay or P300 (b), and P500 dive pass (d).

I'd hope they will issue official government receipts for the collection and not just issue "provisional recepts" (bogus).

How's the Anilao/Mabini system working out for them?
I don't know what's the latest, Ben. But they are still collecting P100 dive pass per diver per day. Funny, I think I haven't seen one Bantay-Dagat boat patrolling Anilao dive sites for over a year now.

So if I come back and dive again, I'll be paying -

P10 (a), P100 X 3 days of stay or P300 (b), and P500 dive pass (d).

I'd hope they will issue official government receipts for the collection and not just issue "provisional recepts" (bogus).

This is still a very fluid situation with some confusion as is with all new systems.

From what I am told so far you will pay PhP 10 for your entire stay, not per day. The question arises, what if you change resorts? PhP 10 is so little that I don't think anyone cares.

As far as I know there will be NO Government BIR receipts and this is one of the things that is causing friction between facilities and the Mayor's Office.

A group of Panglao Municipality Officials were walking the beach area today handing out literature and dive fee "tickets". They stated they will collect fees once a week. One resort owner wants BIR receipts or won't pay the PhP10 per registered guest?

The sign I posted above is somewhat confusing as the PhP 100 Environmental Users Fee for 1 day does not state what for? I'm told it is for 1 day of scuba diving regardless of the number of dives. If that is the case then why PhP 500 for a 3 day ticket that is valid for 3 months?

This all takes effect this coming Saturday, March 5th.

I'll post more as I find out more.

One of the BIG questions is; where does the money go? That answer I will never be privy to.

I am a "visitor/guest" in this country and as such keep my personal opinions to myself, as I feel I should.

heading for Bohol latter part of March so I guess I'll be one of those hit by the new regulatory requirements. Frankly speaking, I don't mind paying so long as fees collected really goes into the purpose for which it is intended to be collected in the first place. If its really for conservation, then there should be visible projects being undertaken funded from the said fees

"where does the money go? " +1

Best to get hold of that Municipal Ordinance No. 3, Series of 2008. It might answer the above question.

edit: some more info

"Panglao Mayor Benedicto Alcala, meanwhile, has issued Executive Order No. 02-2010 that prescribes rules and regulations for the implementation of Municipal Ordinance No. 03, series of 2008, known as “Environmental Users Activity Fee System.”

The Sangguniang Panlalawigan has recently approved the said EO by virtue of Provincial Resolution No. 2010-421 signed by presiding officer Cesar Tomas Lopez as certified by SP secretary Bonifacio M. Quirog.

Under the said EO, tourists shall pay the Environment Users fee (EUF) in the amount of PhP100/person for whole day and an entrance fee of P10/person in any beach or seawater within the town’s territorial jurisdiction to the municipal treasurer through the designated collectors at the area.

Other fees imposed include: EUF ticket for snorkel to the tune of PhP50/person; EUF token for diving for 3 days, PhP500/person; transient boat for one day, PhP1,500 for a day; Live-aboard boat for one day visit, PhP2,500; and the conduct of research, educational and other scientific activities, PhP300/person.

The mayor’s EO also strictly imposes the “No ticket/Token, No Dive policy.” “The dive boat captain or crew shall take hold of the EUF tickets of the divers while the latter are actually diving. Upon demand, the boat captain or assigned crew shall present the EUF tickets to the monitoring team for inspection.”

The net proceeds of EUF collection are divided accordingly: for municipal government, 40%; barangay (where the dive site/resort is located), 30%; marine protected area/dive site management team, 20%; and PADAYON (Panglao, Dauis Baclayon) Management Office, 10%. It was not known how the BMT came into the picture in sharing of the EUF.

Violators of the said Ordinance and the EO shall be slapped with a fine of PhP2,500 or imprisonment of not exceeding six (6)months or both based on the court’s order. (RVO)"

underscoring mine....tsk tsk and you went there just to have a nice/good time.

Funny, I think I haven't seen one Bantay-Dagat boat patrolling Anilao dive sites for over a year now.

This is always the problem is seems. Is the money actually doing any good? Most people don't have a problem paying fees when the money is used effectively and we can see results.

Unfortunately the budgets allocated to Bantay Dagat are often not enough and not really related to the fees paid in any way.

As a result in Malapascua we now find ourselves(the dive operators association) paying the entire salary of the Bantay Dagat if we want to ever see them doing anything. But we see it as a worthy investment in the future of our reefs and divesites.

It doesn't appear that the Panglao fees are excessive - lets just hope they find their way to a good use. Surely ORs are a must?

Look forward to hearing how it pans out there after spending 5 rather painful hours in the mayors office yesterday...

Back
Top Bottom