Trip Report Almost like Riding a Bike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PapaRod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We got our PADI Open Water Cert in Jamaica about 20 years ago, and have not done any diving since then, we completed a ReActivate session in Portland Oregon prior to our trip to Cozumel. Our goal was to get back into diving, get some dives under our belts and complete some additional instruction. My wife settled on Secrets Aura for our hotel stay, and I contacted Dive House to arrange for Advanced Open Water Certification.

Dive house was very easy to work with, good communication and they answered all of my questions. I confirmed with them a couple days prior to our arrival and they were all ready for us at the small Hut on the beach, just past the Secrets Main lobby. Our assigned instructor was Jose, and I don’t think we could have asked for a better instructor. He is a master diver and has some really interesting experiences, like cave diving in Kentucky along with several other states. He was very patient with my wife, and made her feel very comfortable. The entire boat crew went out of their way to ensure we had a great trip, every time. Jose asked if we had considered EANx and we both had talked about it, but hadn’t done anything. We worked with them and completed the online learning in our room, and did the checkout on the boat. Jose brought a portable analyzer with him and we went over the details on setting up for EANx.

We did 7 dives over 3 days. All at interesting spots with plenty of underwater aquatic life and reefs. One thing about the dive sites in Cozumel is if you haven’t done much drift diving, you will do a lot here. I brought along my Christmas gift which was a SportDiver housing for my iPhone and got some great photos on the last day.

Overall I would have no problem recommending Dive House to both novice and experienced divers.

Secrets is a convenient location, however if you don’t care for loud entertainment and mediocre food, you may want to look at other hotel accommodations.

This was also the first trip we used our new Aqualung i770r AI computers which worked perfectly. Very easy to read underwater and syncs up nice with the iPhone.

B4A03964-9D88-4864-8F53-E913ADAE336B.jpeg
843EC2E7-2C69-4D4A-8B3C-00CE3265BA58.jpeg
66E22A9B-979D-417D-98AC-DAA41822942D.jpeg

Green Sea Turtle at 33’ shot with SportDiver-IPhone 13ProMax, no lights

thanks for taking the time to share your experience and photos. Really loved listening to the bubbles while watching the swimming Morey video clip. so many people put music to videos and loose the peaceful sound of underwater. Glad you had a great return to diving! Continued safe diving to ya'll.

thanks for taking the time to share your experience and photos. Really loved listening to the bubbles while watching the swimming Morey video clip. so many people put music to videos and loose the peaceful sound of underwater. Glad you had a great return to diving! Continued safe diving to ya'll.
Thanks. And I agree on the music. Sometimes it’s so annoying you mute it anyway. Of course on the Turtle video you can hear my gas time remaining alarm go off. Because I turned around and swam against the current.

If you had posted this plan before your trip, I would have worried. For one, the title. I rented a bike at Coba ruins maybe a decade ago after several decades of not being on one and it was scary - for me and the trees! And after your 20 years of not diving after your single OW course, I would have suggested just starting over with the OW course.
ReActivate session in Portland Oregon prior to our trip to Cozumel.
But I guess that worked okay. If your refresher course instructor had seen problems, he could have stopped you then.
I contacted Dive House to arrange for Advanced Open Water Certification.
I wouldn't have supported that, but it sounds like it worked ok.
I brought along my Christmas gift which was a SportDiver housing for my iPhone and got some great photos on the last day.
And I would have really opposed that. Newbies with cameras are too easily distracted from life threatening dangers & mistakes, or at best - they lose the camera.

All in all, I think the odds were against you but you luckily pulled it off. Be more careful in the future. I do hope that you both have DAN Dive Insurance as it's really essential. For your international trip, I'd add their trip insurance. Some try to use Gofunme to arrange for emergencies, but that's a poor way.

If you had posted this plan before your trip, I would have worried. For one, the title. I rented a bike at Coba ruins maybe a decade ago after several decades of not being on one and it was scary - for me and the trees! And after your 20 years of not diving after your single OW course, I would have suggested just starting over with the OW course.

But I guess that worked okay. If your refresher course instructor had seen problems, he could have stopped you then.

I wouldn't have supported that, but it sounds like it worked ok.

And I would have really opposed that. Newbies with cameras are too easily distracted from life threatening dangers & mistakes, or at best - they lose the camera.

All in all, I think the odds were against you but you luckily pulled it off. Be more careful in the future. I do hope that you both have DAN Dive Insurance as it's really essential. For your international trip, I'd add their trip insurance. Some try to use Gofunme to arrange for emergencies, but that's a poor way.
Thanks @DandyDon appreciate the feedback. I guess for me riding a bike is second nature. I have done rode and mountain bike amateur racing in my 20s & 30s. We chose to pursue the Advanced Open Water Certification to be under the guidance of an instructor. And we had a phenomenal instructor.

I did not take my camera with me for the first two days for those reasons. Third day I was much more comfortable and had the housing on a leash, and camera tucked inside by BC except for about 10 minutes of the dive. While we were drifting at 33ft.

One benefit I had was reading through posts here from those with more experience than I have. Hopefully we can keep diving every 90 days or so.

We had our DAN cards with us and we did purchase full trip insurance, especially with the unknowns of Covid.

Cheers

PapaRod

Many folks say that I worry too much.
I have done rode and mountain bike amateur racing in my 20s & 30s.
Ok, I rode bikes around the farmhouse some as a preteen, but dad had me driving tractors and trucks by age 12 so no more of that for me then. When I next tried a bike at 62 or so, it was scary.
And we had a phenomenal instructor.
:like:
Third day I was much more comfortable and had the housing on a leash, and camera tucked inside by BC except for about 10 minutes of the dive.
:thanks:
Hopefully we can keep diving every 90 days or so.
:brilliant:
We had our DAN cards with us and we did purchase full trip insurance, especially with the unknowns of Covid.
Now, DAN membership cards are good for emergency repatriation arranged thru them. DAN Dive insurance is a separate option but essential. I always take Trip insurance mostly for the medical coverage, nag my relatives to do the same also for the repatriation benefits, and there are several good companies and policies along with some poor choices. I recently switched to DAN Trip insurance as it seems very competitive. Just to clarify the differences.

Thanks for sharing - great trip! I have seen several great photos/videos with the iPhone in the SportDiver housing.

Love your dive computer. Mine is the air-integrated Aqualung i550c (new in November) with 15 dives on it. 11 dives in Coz 82-84º water and 4 in Cabo (where I am right now) 70-73º water. Brrrrr!! Like you, love the ease of syncing with iPhone app and my dive log app. Have a great next trip!

Thanks for sharing - great trip! I have seen several great photos/videos with the iPhone in the SportDiver housing.

Love your dive computer. Mine is the air-integrated Aqualung i550c (new in November) with 15 dives on it. 11 dives in Coz 82-84º water and 4 in Cabo (where I am right now) 70-73º water. Brrrrr!! Like you, love the ease of syncing with iPhone app and my dive log app. Have a great next trip!
Hope you’re having fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom