Almost Certified, where do I dive first? ATX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

79scubasteve

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife & I will be certified this weekend! Cant wait to go diving. We live just east of Austin. Where is the best place to dive? Does anyone have any info on Athens dive park or the Comal river? Is anyone up for babysitting some beginner divers in a couple of weeks when we go on our first dive?

I am a pretty new diver, too. I'm from Oklahoma, but I just got back from Austin where I dove with Lake Travis SCUBA. You should check them out. The crew is waaaayyy cool. When you make a mistake (I made plenty), they turn it into a teaching opportunity... not a blame game. I really appreciated that. I learned about as much diving with them as I did on my cert dives, and came home with new skills. Good luck and have loads of FUN!! SCUBA is a great sport.

I am a pretty new diver, too. I'm from Oklahoma, but I just got back from Austin where I dove with Lake Travis SCUBA. You should check them out. The crew is waaaayyy cool. When you make a mistake (I made plenty), they turn it into a teaching opportunity... not a blame game. I really appreciated that. I learned about as much diving with them as I did on my cert dives, and came home with new skills. Good luck and have loads of FUN!! SCUBA is a great sport.

Hey! I think Gena and I were on the boat with you on Sunday! Rock on dude!

Oh! As to the question, definitely go to Lake Travis! It's close to you and it's awesome! Windy Point is a good shore based dive park operation. Lake Travis Scuba, a dive boat operator, also launches from an adjacent LCRA park. Look up Lake Travis Scuba around here. Robert is on scubaboard, facebook and the world wide web.

Rich, I think so! Sunday morning, right? I was there. Had a blast. Definitely a fun lake. Love the Starnes Island site. Great viz... of course I have low standards since I'm used to diving in pea soup up here, lol.

My wife & I will be certified this weekend! Cant wait to go diving. We live just east of Austin. Where is the best place to dive? Does anyone have any info on Athens dive park or the Comal river? Is anyone up for babysitting some beginner divers in a couple of weeks when we go on our first dive?

I second Robert and Lake Travis Scuba. Excellent knowledge of the lake, small groups and a very good group of DM's. Tell Robert that this will be your first post certification dive.

I third Robert and lake travis! Awesome dive sites and awesome dive boat operation!

Might even consider getting your AOW certification with someone who teaches at lake travis. I even believe you can do half of your certification on the boat and get that experience in too!

Don't count out the Paris Tunnels once you get your legs under you :wink:

Thanks for the response. I actually will be diving my final certification dive in lake travis/windy point this Sunday. Can't wait. Still kind of woried about any depths beyond the pool, afraid I might sink like a rock or shoot out like a rocket. Any suggestions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom