Allwest Apartments - room selection advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I could use a little help from those who have stayed at All West on trying to decide on 1 apartment or two studios and if one apartment, ground or second floor. We are a family of 4 divers, myself, wife, son 19 and daughter 22. The apartment seems big enough for 4 and the patio seems like a good set up for 4 to eat and hang out. The pull out queen would be a negative, both kids sleeping in the same bed. They could do it but I sure they would prefer their own bed. Two studios side beside give them and us our own space (a plus) but wondering if the eating spaces inside or the patio space outside would be too small for 4 of us sit together. Can't really tell from photos how the outside spaces are separated on the ground level and whether if side by side we could just pull tables and chairs together.

Any advice or suggestions most welcome as well as any other tips or advice.

Thanks. TK

Hi TK,

I work for both All West Apartments and Go West Diving, but I'll try to answer your question from my private point of view: with 4 adults traveling together I would rather go for two Studios or two Junior Apartments. You mentioned the privacy aspect, and brother and sister sharing a Queen Size pull-out couch: I agree that would not be all too comfortable!

The Studios have very big terraces - basically the same size as the Apartment's - so it would be no problem at all to sit with four people (or even more, for that matter) around a table for any meal you wish to share.

If I was in your situation I would see to get two Studios, and all of you will be comfortable. The beds in the Studios can be pulled apart or left standing together, so if your children don't want to be sleeping directly side by side that's also no problem!

I hope this helps, and we can soon welcome you to our beautiful island!

Best regards,
Andreas

Thanks Andreas. That was just the info I needed. I booked two studios. I believe you also gave me some dive info and dive site recommendations earlier in the year and thanks for that. We are arriving 12-31-16 a Sat and departing Thu 1-5. Any restaurant recommendations and places we should make reservations? I recall reading that some of the more popular local restaurants may only be open on the weekends. Arriving New Years Eve may be a bit of challenge for a dinner out without some planning. We may be happy to celebrate on the patio at Allwest if we can pick up food and beverage. Any suggestions or recommendation are welcome. TK

I have never been to Allwest and it has been awhile since we visited Curacao so I can't offer advice on your options, but I can comment about Studio living. My husband and I have done a few vacations that included staying in studio apartments and we didn't much care for it. Cooking, eating, and living in a small space can get uncomfortable very quickly.

And it is fine to plan on eating outdoors but the afternoons get very hot in the tropics and the mosquitos are often out in droves in the evenings. Just for comparison you might look at a 2-bedroom apartment or condo with a full kitchen. Just a suggestion, have a great time in Curacao!

Thanks Kathy for your input. We should be fine with two studios. We spend very little time indoors, just sleeping, changing and showers, even in the Caribbean. In 4 trips to Bon, we have never eaten in the room, always outside. Also, based upon our trip to Bon this Jan, it was noticeably cooler and breezier than our April and July trips. Hoping it will be the same in Cur for this trip.

You might see what Sunshine is doing at: Curacao Sunshine - Sol Food in Westpunt. She's here on SB as: Curacao Sunshine

The Lodge Kura Hulanda also likely has some sort of NY Eve event planned in the restaurant/bar. Rancho El Sobrino also has an outdoor bar/restaurant - the restaurant closed around 9 though. Jaanchies also afaik - drove by but never went in. That's about it for nightlife in Westpunt - it's pretty quiet at night...

If you want to pick up food and beverage instead plan to stop in town before the drive out. Centrum Market is south of the airport - straight thru the rotary south then down about a mile on the right. They had cheap coolers for $1 - old styro shipping boxes and either block or dry ice. Google map it.

I don't believe there's many other market options once you head west. One in Barber but that's not convenient.

Last edited:
Diversteve is right about Sol Food, and I would guess they will be open on New Year's Eve since it's a Saturday.

Another very good restaurant in the area is Trio Penotti, on the other side of the road by the Christoffel Park entrance @ 5-10 minutes driving from Westpunt. Normally they are open every day except Monday, but last year they shut down over Christmas and New Year. You can find them on facebook Trio Penotti | Facebook and ask.

Love, love, love Trio Penotti. Very good food and excellent value. Once we discovered it we ate there all week. Weekends we ate at Sol Food. Also very good food, great people, great location. I would email Sunshine (Sol Food) and see if you can get reservations for the night you arrive. Its pretty close to AllWest. A little tricky to find the first time, especially if dark and you are tired. Its on the way to Go West so if you have time maybe head over that way after checking in to get the lay of the land down. Also don't miss the house the reef in the afternoon after the fishing boats come in. Its a turtle feeding frenzy!!! Have a blast!!!

Thanks to all for the replies. We have now booked two apartments for the four of us as this was all that was available. We may invite a couple diving nieces/nephews to join us with the extra space. Another question re buying food and beer. We are arriving Sat New Years Eve at 4:40 PM (if on time). Transfers from the airport to allwest are included. Should we see if we can arrange to have food and beer purchased in advance by Allwest or a service or should we see if our transfer driver is willing to make a stop and if so where? TK

Should we see if we can arrange to have food and beer purchased in advance by Allwest or a service or should we see if our transfer driver is willing to make a stop and if so where?

Hopefully Andreas or someone else local knows what the working hours may be on Sat New Years Eve.

Back when we were there a couple of years ago Captain Julius (our transfer and boat driver) stopped at one of the markets on the way from the airport. By the time we'd've got to All West and drove back everything would be closed, so that was really the only option. We never asked if they'd purchase stuff in advance for us, though.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom