Allianz "Trip Insurance" - Merry Xmas & Screw you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Allianz Trip Insurance my A$$. They covered ONLY my flight to Bonaire, abosuletly nothing else. WTF??? Definetly NOT trip coverage - only initial flight coverage. Merry Christmas and eff you very much from Allianz even though you had an emergency heart catherization and 4 days later an emegency stent operation.

My bad. I shoud have thought "extended warranty coverage scam" rather than assuming honest, real trip coverage.

Won't make that mistake again. Will spring for refundable/reusable tickets and book with accomodations that allow cancellations.

Much less expensive than the $1500 that Allianz screwed me out of.

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Any (good?) insurance makes it's money by collecting premiums and not paying claims. Trying to get a claim paid without using either a lawyer or taking hostages will seldom work out well. I.o.w. - Get a lawyer!

Michael

Kharon wishing you better health asap. Your health comes first.

What was the rational for not covering you?
I use them all the time but if they are going to play games, I will stop.

What was the rational for not covering you?
I use them all the time but if they are going to play games, I will stop.

Their rational was a semi-hidden upper limit on trip cancellation that was the amount of the initial flight - burried in the fine print. They put all the $100,000, $10,000 etc., items that they say are covered right in your face and bury the smallest limits (the ones that they actually pay on) somewhere you are unlikely to see it unless you get out a magnifying glass and read the entire document.

The trip cancellation limit was $476.90. The insurance fee was more than 10% of that figure. What a scam. Your trip gets cancelled due to emergency heart surgery and the trip expenses are not covered. Only the initial flight.

From now on I will pay a bit more for refundable or reusable tickets and will now look for places to rent that have a reasonable cancellation policy. Trip insurance that doesn't cover the TRIP expenses is a scam.

But yeah, I'm feeling much better than I have in years, so I've got that. After the surgery I asked the surgeon what the recovery period was. He looked at me kind of funny and said" Uh, you're fixed. Take it easy on the wrist for a week - don't soak it, showers are fine, but your heart is fixed." I start cardiac rehab this morning for 12 weeks, mostly so I won't weasel out of going to the gym. lol.

I've rescheduled my trip - March 2 - 9 diving Bonaire, then fly to Aruba (wife not able to meet me there this time) so staying there only March 9 - 12 for snorkeling, maybe a dive or two, and exploring for a future trip with my wife. Then April 17 - 27 Placencia to (hopefully) dive with whale sharks and see some Mayan ruins. I may tell myself that "I deserve a break today" (and not at McD's) and run down to Key Largo for some boat diving in January or February, though I kind of doubt that.

First of all, I hope you have a complete and speedy recovery.

As others have said, perhaps a lawyer might be able to help you get them to pay your claim. There may be other options as well. I recently had a (non dive) trip booked and did not have the foresight to purchase any insurance. A family member suddenly got very ill and it looked as though I would not be making my trip. I reached out to the airline (I had a non-refundable ticket which had already been paid for) and to one of the hotels that I would be staying at (also a non-refundable pre-paid reservation) and asked them what options I had. Air Canada said that if I was able to get a letter from the doctor stating the severity of the illness or if it turns really bad, a copy of the death certificate, then they would be able to refund my tickets. The hotel (the Holiday Inn Express in Moab UT) was amazing. I spoke with the manager and he said that he could hear in my voice that I wasn't trying to simply get out of my reservation and that I should call him back when I have a definitive answer as to what I wanted to do and he would be able to offer me 3 options. He could honour the reservation as it stands if I still came. He would allow me to time shift the reservation to a later date if I still wanted to come but couldn't make the trip when I had originally booked it. The final option was to cancel the reservation and he had the authority to issue a refund even though the reservation clearly stated no refunds or changes. As it turned out, my brother passed away a couple weeks before I was to go on the trip and getting away to clear my head was just what I needed so I went on the trip as it was scheduled.

The point is, if the insurance company continues to be ineffective, you might be able to reach out to any hotel or airline or other company with whom you had reservations and deal with them one on one. This is more work for you, but you may have some luck in trying to recover some of your cost or perhaps shifting the dates to ones where you will be able to travel.

Once again, get well soon.

I had to get shipped home out of Costa Rica due to a medical issue and had already purchased a non-refundable ticket. I called the airline and said that it was a medical emergency and I wouldn't be making my flight and all they wanted was a doctors note and they were happy to refund.

They're generally pretty nice about that sort of thing. They realize that stuff happens and their policy is really in place to keep people from taking advantage of cheap ticket prices. Just have your ducks in a row, a doctors note, and they're more likely to say, "here you go, hope your recovery goes well."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom