All right Covid, you’re making me learn to dive a drysuit!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcp2

15’ vis is a good day in the pond
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
With prior 2019 plans of exploring the Caymans, Puerto Rico, and Hawaii greatly hampered by unpredictability with regards to travel and amenities for the non diving family, I’ve thrown in the towel and signed up for drysuit training so I can go to the quarry and try some Great Lakes diving. So far I’ve acquired a used drysuit and some undergarments that fit decently, gotten an extra LP hose, replaced a neck seal, taken apart and refreshed an inflation valve, and entertained my family by walking around the house in the drysuit and then getting temporarily stuck in doffing the neck seal. Many laughs all around. Next endeavor will be to imitate the stay puff marshmallow man.

Well, back to report on my dry suit course. It went better than I anticipated, and I was dryish after the two training dives. I need more practice, and have a couple of questions.
I have a new to me BPW that I adjusted the shoulder straps to be not tight on land, but had some shifting side to side underwater with a steel tank. I tightened the waist belt to control it, and it helped. Does doing that make air collect in the legs more easily?
The suit I am using is an old Whites Tropic with ankle seals. I think I want a boot or sock in the long run. Should I get these swapped out?
I like the suit otherwise, especially the self donning zipper and the way the pockets can be put on and taken off, but haven’t seen this in other newer suits. Is this type of pocket obsolete now?
My exhaust valve is an older Sitech valve and doesn’t have a clicking ratchet action for opening and closing. Is this something that I should change out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom