All in one package + internship vs IDC only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hksginger

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi there, I'd like your opinions on how to become an instructor. How did you do it? (obviously you took your IE and passed but I mean in more detail/your history!) My partner and I are considering an all in one package (IDC/IE/EFRI and more) including some time spent interning at various locations worldwide - have any of you experienced these personally? Who would you recommend? Or did you become an instructor another way?

Our most important criteria are that we gain some actual experience and we are fully prepared to actually teach and get a job rather than "just" get through the IE, which I've heard is what happens with some places. We are some distance from our nearest IDC and as we intend to leave the UK anyway this is why we are looking at foreign courses. All ideas/opinions considered

Thanks

Hi Guys,
I did an internship for my dive master and Instructor in Thailand. I took six months and accounts for nearly 700 dives. The majority of those dives where with students, sometimes paid, other times not. There are many places to do your IDC, all have good points and bad. There are many with poor opinions of the tropical IDC and third world intership, bottom line is, it is what you make of it.

Personnally I would choose the agency you wish to instruct with.
You may consider a BSAC course which has its homebase in the UK, but does offer IDC in Thailand and Japan. PADI is usually the cheapest in terms of interschool crossovers, meaning if you start with PADI it is cheaper to do an instructor crossover with other schools, to crossover from another school to PADI requires a whole IDC and IE.

Then choose where you want to spend your time. Thailand, Vietnam, South America, Egypt.
the list is long.

Research, logic suggests the best price may not be the best option, ask about all those Agency extras. application fees etc etc. are they included?

Best of luck
md

Hi,

Also, once you have selected one or more possible IDC centers, come back here and ask if board members have experience with the ones you've selected. I did an internship in the carribean and I REALLY whish I had ask for references.

One thing I would really advice against is going from open water or un-certified diver to instructor in one internship. I've seen it happen and in general it doesn't make for good instructors. But if you've already got a couple of years diving then these internships can be a very good option.

Good luck.

well we've been looking at Dressel in Mexico, Aquanauts and Mermaids in Thailand. We received a dvd from mermaids but watching it has really put my boyf off as it seems like a real party type place rather than a more serious "we're here to learn about instructing". not that we don't like to have fun but if we're spending a few ££££'s then its gotta be worth the money and we'd better get some good experience! I think both of us would prefer to work in the Caribbean and so i've been thinking about maybe doing our courses in Miami/Florida somewhere as its obviously a lot easier to fly to Carib from there. We're going with PADI as i'm already qualified to AI and although the beau is new to scuba but not skin diving, he'll be doing up to and including his rescue here, possibly even his DM. We are looking to do the IDC and so on from end January 09 so we still have a while to go but we want to get it all sorted early, especially as we'll have to do a fair bit of saving first!
thanks

I only saw the dressel diver operation walking by their place. It looked nice but it would be great if someone who's actually done a course or an internship with them could reply.

Also, if you're interested in the Caribbean you would want to look into utila. Go Pro Utila|PADI IDC|Divemaster & Instructor course|Utila and Roatan|Bay Islands Honduras Central America - Home Although I didn't do my idc with them I had some contact over the phone and email with Andy I got a good fibe. Again, it would be nice if someone with 1st hand experience could give their opion.

Let us know where you're going to go....

When you do decide which agency to go for then it's down to the IDC and how it's done. I did mine with a CD who ran his own IDCs from his diving centre. His style was individual, and encouraged us to use and develop ourselves within the system. He said he was not going to teach us how to pass an IE, but become instructors. When the day of the IE came around there were about 15 or so candidates from an IDC college. It was like watching robots pre programmed to pass, all the presentations were the same. I remember looking back at the examiner at the back of the hall, when yet another drone was switched on (sorry, candidate) to do a presentation. The look on his face said it all, GET ME OUT OF HERE, ANYONE GOT ANY RAZOR BLADES?!!!
Of course they all passed, but we got the highest marks. I'm glad I did it my way. Then again it all comes down to the CD.

Good luck!:D

Hi Nimleth

Where did you do your internship? And was it a not so great experience?

Dude, this thread is over 5 years old. Nimleth hasn't even signed on in over 3 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom