Aldora's steel tanks - brand/weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safe travels, please drink several Bohemia Obscura's for me...it only the best beer in the world!!

Although I like Bohemia Oscura, I prefer Leon Negra, but on this last trip to Cozumel I could not find it in Mega, Chedraui, or any of the restaurants where I asked. What's up with that?

Hi everyone -

I'm starting research on a potential first Coz trip and am looking at Aldora due to their steel 100/120s. For a relative air hog like me, that'd be a Godsend. :)

Question tho'...anyone know what brand they use or how much they weigh in the water? I'm diving a SS Freedom Plate and a VDH 23# wing and am wondering if I'd need to source out the larger 35# to dive with the heavier tank.

TIA!

Hi everyone -

I'm starting research on a potential first Coz trip and am looking at Aldora due to their steel 100/120s. For a relative air hog like me, that'd be a Godsend. :)

Question tho'...anyone know what brand they use or how much they weigh in the water? I'm diving a SS Freedom Plate and a VDH 23# wing and am wondering if I'd need to source out the larger 35# to dive with the heavier tank.

TIA!

Here are the tank specs:
3500ish psi water
HP 120 -8.8 lbs
HP 117 -9.12 lbs

700ish psi in water
HP 120 +0.65 lbs
HP 117 +0.35 lbs

Rumer has it they have a few HP130. They are similar boyancy to the 120's. Ask when you check in. I can get away with a 100 for 75 min dive but carry the 120 for reserve or that occasional 100 min dive with a good dive group.

Tell Jorgito and Sharif Jay from Oklahoma says hello.

Unfortunately Jorgito left Aldora last year, around the same time that Gato and Chino split,

I had heard he was freelancing, but last time we spoke I think he was considering doing something else outside of diving.

I'm diving a SS Freedom Plate and a VDH 23# wing and am wondering if I'd need to source out the larger 35# to dive with the heavier tank.

I used to dive a 22 lbs wing w/ both steel and aluminum backplates wearing a 0.5mm full suit and hood with Aldora. This combo was fine diving wise with their steel HP120s. The problem was that I tended to float much lower in the water at the end of my dives, which really was only an issue when surfacing in choppy conditions. I have since switched to a Ti backplate w/ 30 lbs wing, and much happier with the performance.

All things being equal, it may come down to what you are wearing and how much inherent buoyancy there is in your equipment profile. If you are wearing a 3mm+ full wetsuit, then you might be okay sticking with your 23# wing, but I don't really see a performance downside in bumping up to a wing with more lift.

Not Bohemia Noche Buena?
I thought Noche Buena was only available during October, November, and December. It’s a great beer as well and I’ll alternate between the two when we are there for a day of the Dead. It’s been a year and a half since I have been to Coz. Never thought I would say that……

jay

Although I like Bohemia Oscura, I prefer Leon Negra, but on this last trip to Cozumel I could not find it in Mega, Chedraui, or any of the restaurants where I asked. What's up with that?
I was there again a few weeks ago and I still could not find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom