Aldora Divers - Review / Recomendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toonchoon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As a disclaimer, no I do not work for them, or have gotten paid by them, or have gotten any discounts to post good reviews. With that out of the way, here's my story.
-----

I planned to go to Cozumel a few months back. Dean arrived, and I canceled. This time around, I re-booked on short notice, and didn't have any time to make dive reservations. I stayed with a friend that lives 3 blocks from the shopping plaza, brought my gear along, and was hoping to just find 1 spot with some dive operator to take me out.

Walked around downtown on Sunday late morning, knowing nobody worked. Yet, I was hoping to run into somebody, at one of the dive shops.

I noticed some suitcases outside Aldora Divers, peeked my head in, and explained I wanted to go diving. A short wait later, I had a chance to meet Guillermo, who immediately got me set up for Monday and Tuesday morning dives. They had few spots open for both days, and I took one of them. He just told me to show up at their pier (downtown) at 7.30.

Aristeo, the DM was great. He offered to get me set up on the boat, but I preferred to set up my own gear. It's what I'm used to. We picked up the rest of the divers at their hotel, and headed south to Colombia Reef. Aristeo is a no-nonsense kinda guy. He makes sure everybody is ok with the dive plans, and he leads the way, leading the way through the swim-troughs and pointing out cool creatures. He knows what to look for, and where to find it under water. We dove steel 120's, with bottom time of about an hour on all 4 dives. Aristeo will check with you 2-3x during the dive to make sure everything is ok.

The surface interval (averaged 2 - 2.5 hrs) was spent at a restaurant on the beach. It's a nice, relaxing time and a great way to share stories with the rest of the divers. Also, as is expected, he and the captain switched the tanks out and got everything ready for the 2nd dive. There was plenty of bottled water to keep everybody hydrated at any given point of time on the boat. The boats are small and fast. There were 6 divers on my boat both days, and their boat doesn't have room to accommodate much more.

All in all, I had a great experience. Just an FYI, this is my first time diving in warm waters, and a first time diving with a divemaster. I'm a cold water diver, and do my shore dives with 1 or 2 other buddies. I'm very low maintenance, and so I don't need too much in terms of "special" attention. My situation was unique, but these guys got me out diving. Everybody's experience will be different, but I recommend you give these guys a try. Unless you suck air too fast, your bottom time will be 1+ hours - even on 100+ ft. deep dives.

Great to hear as I am diving with Aldora in December.

Vanessar

I dove with them one day (2 dives) and had a great experience, I also liked the big tanks. I was set up to dive two days but became ill (not dcs) and they were understanding and although I expected to pay for the dives I canceled they were very nice about it and did not charge me. Very nice people but then again I have found most vendors there easy to deal with.

Glad you found them! We're going back next Saturday for our 4th time with them. From what I've heard they are a little more $ than most other ops, but for value I believe they'd be hard to beat. The service is awesome, they run steel 120's so you dive until you're ready to come up (not "40 minutes and that's it" style of diving) and they don't run cattle boats. I have also dived with Aristeo and he has an amazing eye and was constantly pointing out stuff. Surface intervals at the playa are also great.
They also have a small hotel (Villa Aldora) just north of town on the water where you can catch the boat, so no carrying stuff to the town pier (they will keep your BC and regs on the boat if you're diving multiple days with them).
If weather permits, have them take you diving on the Spanish Canons on the East Side.

Great, glad you had a good time. Aldora is and has been my DO of choice in Coz for about 7 years. Will see them in about three weeks.

We had a great time with them in March. They do a good job.

I have 7 days booked with them. Thanks for the review.

I used them last month and they were FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We did Baraccuda twice with a long surface interval on one of the days of diving and it was outstanding. They are professional, adventurous, and extremely likeable. I'm hooked on Aldora. Guilermo is a blast!

Do they do Nitrox?

Back
Top Bottom