Aladin Pro? Still worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JTKKavanagh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all
Getting back under the water this summer after about 10 years and I've had a quote of £90 to bring my old Aladin Pro back to life.
It was idiot proof. Easy to read and use and was the go to computer.
But.
I'm getting scare stories about out dated algorithms being dangerous, expensive for a battery change and a bugger to do yourself as it's oil filled.
Well I'm going to get it done by an expert. The last battery lasted 7 years and I'm used to it.
But is it just too old?

FINALLY!
Someone recognises the great Dave. Usually I get who's that?
Errol Flynn?

I still have two of my old Aladdin Pros and I keep them operational as back-up or loaners. Only reason they don’t get used more is nearly every dive around me is nitrox and multiple gas types.

Which version tonyou have? The pre-93 version are not liquid filled, and are easy to R&R if you are even half way decent with a solder iron.

The liquid filled don’t seem too bad, but I have not done one of those yet. If I ever trip across one of the blue nitrox ones, I will try and pick it up, just because I love the simplicity.

If I dove air , I would dive mine without any hesitation

I would move on if repair cost exceeded 1/4 of new unit price.
Having said that...I had an Air Z that I diy'ed battery replacement for about $22 usd.

Light grey probably post 93. But found someone on E Bay can do it for £32.

So far nobody is telling me it isn't worth it!

Light grey probably post 93. But found someone on E Bay can do it for £32.

So far nobody is telling me it isn't worth it!

Both pre and post 93 were light grey.. *sport versions were black, and later nitrox were blue

Is the screen wide and rectangular (early) or more of a square shape(later liquid filled)

Was probably 94/95 when they changed. Mine both have a “tested date” on the back.

I'm getting scare stories about out dated algorithms being dangerous, expensive for a battery change and a bugger to do yourself as it's oil filled.
Well I'm going to get it done by an expert. The last battery lasted 7 years and I'm used to it.
But is it just too old?
Not too old, not outdated.
Just find someone to change the battery or do it yourself and still good for many years:)

Check out youtube on how to replace the battery. Whether you do it yourself or have an LDS perform the task at least you know what is involved. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom