Al vs. Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UncleJT

Reaction score
Ok, one thing that frustrates me with the PADI OW course is it doesn't get technical enough for a guy like me. My current rant is the vague discussion on tanks. They go over basic routine maintenance and how to read the markings on the bottle but that's about it.

The book says "consult your PADI" dive center for how to select a tank for your diving style and location. Good lord.

So, I guess my question is.. when/where do I want to use Al and when/where do I want to use steel?

- JT

Warning: Newbie Opinion to Follow!

I'm not sure it's fair to put blame on PADI for not going into great detail about tanks. Every diver has a different style, location, reason and approach to diving. I agree with them to consult your local dive center to help determine what is best for you. To say that steel is best or aluminum is best can't really be done.

One drawback on aluminum tanks is the buoyancy factor.

One drawback to steel tanks is the price.

Both tanks will provide you with air and last a long, long time if properly maintained (visually inspected/hydro'd on schedule, etc).

I think they give enough information so you can make a decision for yourself based on your dive shops recommendations.

Originally posted by UncleJT

So, I guess my question is.. when/where do I want to use Al and when/where do I want to use steel?

If you dive cold, you may want to consider steel tanks. I've already decided that my next set of tanks is definatey going to be steel, just to get some of the weight off. Yes, they are much more expensive, but the bouyancy of the aluminum tanks is definately getting to me. [I wear 24 lbs on my belt, 6 on my BC strap, and 4 in my pockets on the back of my BC].

Now on the other side of the coin, I have friends that went down to North Carolina diving, and ran one quick test before they dove.
They had no extra weight, and they dumped the air out of their BCs to see if they could swim to the surface with their double steel tanks. Upon finally reaching the surface, they went and doubled up two aluminums so they would be able to swim them if they had BC issues.

So the first question would be your weight requirements...

.......Aluminum vs. Steel

the results will be 142 threads here

see you in a few days when your done reading them.:wink:

BTW I think I've read them all,
I went with PST LP 104's
(cold water Drysuit diving)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom