AL tank question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi, I was recently given an aluminum tank by a former diver. I believe this tank to be from the era of bad alloy subject to SLC failure but I am not 100% and am calling on the prevailing wisdom of SB.

I currently live in Belgium and the tank cannot be re-hydrostatic tested here as the cylinder is US/Canadian Spec and does not have the necessary EU conformity marks on it.

No worries on this though as my question pertains to whether or not I should hang on to this bottle for when I eventually move back to the US or if I should scrap it.

Initially my gut, based on my reading, indicated this bottle should be condemned as its original hydro/date of mfg was in 1980, but it was last successfully hydro tested in 1998. If this bottle was made from bad alloy, wouldn't/shouldn't it have been culled at that time?

Here are a couple of pictures of the tank markings for review:

upload_2019-8-8_10-48-2.jpeg upload_2019-8-8_10-48-57.jpeg

Thanks for any help with this.

-Z

Yes, it's one of the problem children. While it does not necessarily have to be condemned, it has to have special testing before it can be used and since most dive shops won't touch it reguardless of hydro or not, it's not worth the hassle of bringing it back.

Cut the bottom off it if you or a friend has a dog. Makes a nice outside water bowl. Cut the top off it to make a desktop regulator display for yourself or a gift to a friend. Just don't scrap it in whole condition so no one else tries to salvage it as a scuba tank and winds up a statistic of another tank explosion.

Initially my gut, based on my reading, indicated this bottle should be condemned as its original hydro/date of mfg was in 1980, but it was last successfully hydro tested in 1998. If this bottle was made from bad alloy, wouldn't/shouldn't it have been culled at that time?

It is the "bad alloy." If it were my cylinder, I would scrap it.

The safety of AL6351 cylinders is controversial. Some people believe that, with the enhanced inspection techniques now being used, these cylinders can be used safely. Others believe that there is still a significant residual risk (and I myself tend to agree).

In any case, it doesn't make economic sense to try to use these cylinders as the additional inspection costs are high enough over time that you're better off scrapping the cylinder and finding something else.

or a wind-chime...

Al dosen't ring like a steel, so using it as a bell or wind chime is a waste.

In any case, it doesn't make economic sense to try to use these cylinders as the additional inspection costs are high enough over time that you're better off scrapping the cylinder and finding something else.

And the cost of storing and shipping it back, so I would go with @Jonny Wishbone and his ideas.

Bob

Scrap. Regardless of the alloy, some places won't even fill an AL if it's 20+ years old.

Suspensions are correct. That is the one that nobody wants. Do not invest any money into it.
Not worth it to haul it here, have it tested, extra testing, and find that shops will not fill it.
Most useful I have seen is for s store display holding dive gear.

If you are wondering how the alloy was determined from your photo, it is the combination of the original date plus the manufacturer. In this case the USD marking means US Divers, and to the best of my knowledge that means it is a Luxfer tank. (same for Dacor)
If you check the edge just above the bottom, where the boot hides it, you will probably find LUXFER markings.

Reactions: Zef
If you are wondering how the alloy was determined from your photo, it is the combination of the original date plus the manufacturer. In this case the USD marking means US Divers, and to the best of my knowledge that means it is a Luxfer tank. (same for Dacor)
If you check the edge just above the bottom, where the boot hides it, you will probably find LUXFER markings.

My understanding is that the up arrow between the year and month of the first hydro is a Luxfer trademark as well.

My wife does not want a dive tank table lamp, and our 2 dogs (1 German Shepherd and 1 Tervuren shepherd mix) are too big for a water bowl made from the bottom....maybe I will cut the bottom off and offer it to a friend who has a smaller dog.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom