AL 45 as a pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hppyfam

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
LDS has an AL 45 catalina. Its about the same diameter as a normal AL80. But short like an AL 63. I am considering using it as a pony since its being sold for $80, with a recent hydro and vip done. I dive BP/W, and typically do 1-2 dives a week to 115ish ft and then spend rest of air at around 60-80 ft and come up as I see local wildlife.

Would the Catalina AL45 be too awkward of a pony as a relatively new diver (7 months certified with just shy of 100 dives). Thoughts would be to an emergency for my dive buddy and I on the 115-120ft dives. Its shore diving so no awkward need to jump in from a boat, however would have the possibility that it could be used for some boat dives where depths are 100+ feet onto wreck or a blue hole that swims through at 135 feet.

Too fat to mount as a pony and too stubby to sling like a stage bottle. Good enough for a bottle to fill tires or for a kid.

There is no way I would use a tank that size as a pony bottle. It is WAY too big. Then again, I have only used my AL13 pony on exactly one dive, many years ago. I'm not much of a pony believer. I use single tanks in OW recreational dives with a buddy and doubles in overhead or technical situations.

I think all divers, especially new divers, should carefully consider the nature of their dives and choose (with help from experienced professionals if possible) appropriate gear configurations. You have been diving for 7 months and are talking about swim throughs at 135 ft. I would consider any overhead at that depth to be more-or-less technical diving. It's a bit of a grey area.

Sorry this might not be the answer you were looking for.

It would be fine, although perhaps a bit short to sling. How tall are you? I have a lady friend who uses one (or similar) but she's pretty short, so suits her well.

I wouldn't use one as a pony myself, it would be too awkward to sling. You'd basically have to sidemount it, at which point you might as well dive side-mount anyway.

My opinion is that having an alternative gas source is a good practice, including deeper recreational dives. I wouldn’t bother for shallow reefs though.

I have an adjustable travel stage setup that allows me to sling various size tanks as available at my destination. I did use AL 30, 40 and 80 without an issue but I am used to carry these as deco gas on my tech dives.

I find having a pony safer than a single tank gas share as it simplifies gas management. Not many rec divers are familiar with the rock bottom gas procedure and even less are following it during the dive. I did have to use my extra gas couple of times to support divers that ran low on gas at depth during rec dives on Florida wrecks and in Great Lakes. It was less stressful for me knowing that I have my back gas supply in my control.

I am not familiar with this particular tank but if it is as tall as AL 40 I wouldn’t discard it. Said that, it is important to know it’s buoyancy characteristics when full and also when it close to empty to ensure you can maintain control in the water column.

With limited experience, I would recommend to practice first in a controlled environment, pool or a shallow shore dive with the same equipment you plan to do your dives in your environment. Ask if you can rent it and possibly ask for guidance by a local instructor or DM that has the right experience. Then you can make your decision

Safe diving

too short and fat to handle well. either just go smaller with al30 or go taller with al40, but either way go slimmer.

Since we got into the size discussion.
  • 6cu and smaller don't bother.
  • 13cu should prevent drowning, but you'll likely risk deco-sickness and have to cut short safety/deco stops.
  • 19cu is great for travel & a quick clip-and-go pony tank. This is what I use, and it's super-light, small, and doesn't get in my way. For a standard backmount dive, I have zero excuse to not have it on me. They're also good for air-travel.
  • 30cu and 40cu - These start to have dual use, including technical diving. You could also sidemount 2x 40s for a super-lightweight setup. They're still good for slinging as a pony, and relatively light (unless they're the short-and-fat variety).
That said, based on the shape of those 45s, I'd only use them as a lightweight sidemount setup.

AL45 is about as far down on my list as it gets. For the effort, just do an 80. And now you are halfway to diving sidemount.

LDS has an AL 45 catalina.

Which is not necessarily a reason to consider buying one. Figure out what you need, and suits your diving and buy accordingly.

On the other hand, if you can get a killer deal, and are willing to make it work for you, have at it. It's all a learning experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom