Akumal: Villa Rental or AI for Family Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbjclj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We are planning a 40th wedding anniversary trip next June and treating our family. My husband and I are the only divers so we would like access to diving (we go to Coz every year since 79), but also want it to be fun for everyone. There will be daughter/son in law, 10 yr and 2 yr old, other daughter and fiancee. I am looking for beachfront and thought Akumal might be a good choice. Our kids are coming from Wichita so I am trying to make the travel easier and less $$$ and flying to Cancun is less costly than going to Coz. It seemed there would be more beach and kid type things (Xcaret???)

My husband thinks an AI would be the way to go since there could be kid clubs, babysitting etc. I am tending toward villa rental (seems more cost efficient) and I am the "organizer" so I probably get the last word. We are open to any suggestions. He actually thinks it would be fun for the kids to take the ferry and stay in Coz. I think that is too much hauling gear etc. with 2 little kids.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am open to any other areas also. Our other trips have been to Utila, Bonaire, Caymans, Fiji, lots of Channel Islands and of course Cozumel.

Thanks in advance

Cheryl

We just did Akumal/Coz a couple of weeks ago. I had an AI in Playa all booked and then cancelled and went with a condo in Akumal. If the best beach is important to you then the Akumal Beach Resort is an AI that wil run about $68 a night per person, less for the kids. The villa route might not be the least expensive depending on the size you want. I might think that something like 2, 3 bedroom condos at Vista Del Mar would provide privacy (each BR room has a full bath) for about $145 a night each. Check out Loco Gringo and trip advisor for reviews and to ask more questions, the forums there are great for lots of info.

The Akumal area is a great base location for a family trip. There's lots of day-trip options that should provide something for everyone. If you stay in Akumal it is very laid back and quiet. There are about 6 restaurants, 2 beach bars and a handful or shops. There are no nightclubs or nightlife really. Aventuras Akumal is more of a resort atmosphere then Akumal, but still quiet compared to Playa del Carmen or Cozumel. If you want mainland with more of what Coz has to offer topside, PDC may also be a good alternative.

A villa or condo with stocking up on your own groceries and preparing your own meals can be an affordable option depending on the house or complex you pick. But, even if each bedroom has it's own bath, you will still be sharing a living space 24/7. If you go for a villa or condo, make sure to check the bathroom configurations. Several have only a shower which would be a challenge with young children. The AI's all have good pools and large well groomed beaches which several villas or condos will not.

The diving in Akumal is nice, but shouldn't be compared to Coz. Akumal has shallow (45-75ft) quite lush reefs with light current drift dives. I've used Akumal Dive Adventures on all our trips the past few years and they've been great. From Akumal you'll be able to do some cenote cavern dives as well which shouldn't be missed.

I've been going to Akumal once or twice a year. We stay at Vista del Mar condos (www.akumalinfo.com) . As Swarth mentioned, www.locogringo.com is a great information source for the whole Riviera Maya area. Feel free to PM or post any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom