Airsource difficult to keep in mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Socal326

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The airsource pushes quite a bit while I'm breathing on it. I really need to keep my head looking to the right to feel comfortable and secure in my mouth. I know I've seen other threads talk about this but can't find them or any solution. Is this just how it is or is there a way to relax the hose so it doesn't push?

If I am understanding your question right you are saying that your second stage is not comfortable and you have a hard time keeping it secure in your mouth?

The simplest option is to look at different mouthpieces. The comfogrip mouthpiece or seacure mouthpiece can help with this.

Another potential solution is to look at Miflex hoses. They are more flexible than rubber hoses and can help with hose routing and comfort.

Both of those suggestions are dependent on my reading of what your issue really is.

An AirSource is a BCD mounted regulator, it's not free on a hose like a typical second stage octopus, and as such it's not all that easy for a diver to hold in his or her mouth. That's the tradeoff for being more streamlined with one less hose. Odds are it won't be used much, except for perhaps a few minutes during a rapid ascent with an OOA diver.

The airsource pushes quite a bit while I'm breathing on it. I really need to keep my head looking to the right to feel comfortable and secure in my mouth. I know I've seen other threads talk about this but can't find them or any solution. Is this just how it is or is there a way to relax the hose so it doesn't push?
@loosenit2 - the Airsource is Aqualung’s octo/inflator combo. Not a standard mouthpiece fitting , and current version comes with a Miflex hose.
@Socal326 - I assume you are just testing the use for an emergency, and not trying to use it as your primary throughout the whole dive, right? If the first, then good for you. If the second, then knock it off.
I can only think of two possible aids in making it more comfortable:
  1. Remove it from the BCD retaining strap on the shoulder. (Velcro, snap, whatever)
  2. Rotate the shoulder fitting where the corrugated hose attaches to the BCD. Loosen it, turn the fitting, tighten it again. The angle is not continuously variable - it is indexed to 8 or more positions. Open it all the way first so you can see the parts and get the feel for reattaching it correctly rather than forcing it.
Also, if you have anything attached inline with the QD hose such as a Dive Alert, that can make it more rigid.

An AirSource is a BCD mounted regulator, it's not free on a hose like a typical second stage octopus, and as such it's not all that easy for a diver to hold in his or her mouth. That's the tradeoff for being more streamlined with one less hose. Odds are it won't be used much, except for perhaps a few minutes during a rapid ascent with an OOA diver.

Thanks, Did not realize, familiar with air2 models but not the AL models. Miflex won’t work at all then, but mouthpiece and potentially changing length of corrugated hose might help.

Thanks, Did not realize, familiar with air2 models but not the AL models. Miflex won’t work at all then, but mouthpiece and potentially changing length of corrugated hose might help.

You can use a Miflex, you just need to get a standard LP hose, and an adapter. I actually do the same with my standard inflator as standard LP hoses can easily be found in 2" increments in a variety of materials and colors.

aqualung is stiff complete rubbish hose only for looks, of course it pushes

full.jpg

here feel free put another hose nice and soft and flexible long enough or not

I change the steering wheels of my cars
Don't like a spoke at the bottom but can still drive them

One person I know said it was super convenient at all times except an OOA situation. In which case it became difficult to properly vent the BC while the buddy was breathing on it. Seems like a great idea, but...

One person I know said it was super convenient at all times except an OOA situation. In which case it became difficult to properly vent the BC while the buddy was breathing on it. Seems like a great idea, but...
The buddy is supposed to use your primary while you use your Airsource. Too many of these are bought and sold without any thought or discussion on how they are actually used. Also, the Aqualung Airsource has a hard fitting in the middle of the corrugated hose that allows you to pull the shoulder dump without having to remove the reg from your mouth. That is a major difference/advantage from all of the brands that just install in place of a standard inflator. Also remember you can use your right shoulder dump to vent your BCD, if you have one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom