Airlines and travel strategies to Bali from US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Anybody have any tips regarding routing to Bali? I live in Hawaii but could route myself through LAX if better options. I think Hong Kong might be an option too. I am really stabbing in the dark here. Any tips appreciated....

Aloha,
catherine

<lurking>

We live in Saipan and go to Bali alot for shopping and diving. Flights from Guam can be cheap we have gone for a little as $299 USD roundtrip. You could break up your trip from HI by doing some diving in Guam. Bali is a great place to visit I still feel it is very safe no matter what they say on the mainland.

catherine96821:
Anybody have any tips regarding routing to Bali? I live in Hawaii but could route myself through LAX if better options. I think Hong Kong might be an option too. I am really stabbing in the dark here. Any tips appreciated....

Aloha,
catherine

Fly LAX-Bali with a stop in Hong Kong

Work is with Star Alliance - and I just check our Electronic Time Table - and the fastest I can find is (I don't know what day you are leaving so just did a Friday though this can often change connections etc).Also, it depends what time of the day you leave as to best options. I tend to like to fly out late at night after work so I don't lose an extra day. Anyway - two options - one Star Alliance and one mixed.

HNL direct to Sydney (Air Canada)
11.50pm depart - 6.30am arrive
Sydney direct to Singapore (Singapore Airlines)
8.05am depart - 2.20pm arrive
Singapore direct to Depansar (Bali) (Singapore Airlines)
4.40pm depart - 7.10pm arrive
This one works well because your down time is while you are asleep.

Also, Star Alliance has an Asia Pacific Airpass thingy. Dunno how it would work for you, but you might want to check it out.

Another option is to fly direct to Sydney, then take a Garuda Airlines direct to Denpasar (Bali) which usually costs around $600AUS return.
HNL direct to Sydney (Air Canada)
11.50pm depart - 6.30am arrive
Sydney direct to Bali (Garuda)
9.10am depart - 1.10pm arrive
It gets you there 6 hours earlier and lots less flight time.
Please note: I am not a travel agent so there are probably much better ways to getting there.

Cheers and good luck
Paschen

wow! Thanks, I have been looking at Travelocity and Expedia today and getting 2K apiece! No way can we do that! I will google star alliance...I never heard of that.
Aloha, Catherine

Star Alliance is a group of international carriers who have banded together - US Air, Air Canada, Singapore Airlines, ANA etc
The cheapest options with good connections I could find are
Air Canada to Sydney then Garuda to Bali...
There is a direct flight from Honalulu to Sydney through Hawaiian Airlines that is really cheap, but I don't know what days of the week it runs, and it arrives at night into Sydney which might muck up your transfers to Bali, but you could get all flights for around $1600AUS - add in an overnight stay in Sydney with transfers and you could be looking at a max of $1800AUS including all taxes. That is a little over $1300US including taxes. Air Canada is a little more expensive - You would prolly be looking at around $1500US including all taxes
Check out Garuda Airlines as well for availablity of flights to Bali from Sydney.
If you need a hand, let me know.

Forgot to add in - Hawaiian Airlines has discounted fares for their frequent flyers - which is free to join.
Also - membership to any of the Star Alliance members will accumulate full points on any flight through any alligned carrier. US Airways is free to join. Dunno about the others or Garuda Air.
Now if I can just get a job organising exec travel for an international firm with offices in primo diving locations I am set!

I'd fly Honolulu to east coast Oz (whichever is cheapest) then fly Garuda direct to Denpasar. They (Garuda) also offer an additional 20kgs luggage (total 40kgs per person) for scuba diving equipment, (plus carry on hand luggage) which is great for photographers.
We always fly with Garuda from Oz to Indonesia and in 25 years travelling to/from Indonesia several times a year, we have never had a problem. Last time we flew Qantas, we got delayed for several hours!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom