Airline Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they are all about the same price, Cathay puts the other two to shame. It is an excellent airline.

I would have to have a very compelling reason to not use them, for example, I would earn EQM's on one of the others and it was the end of the year.

All the best, James

I used Cathay on my last trip to PI and was very impressed with their service. I'd also have to agree with fdog comparing the 3 airlines.

I admit to having an unreasonable bias against China Airlines. I think I have an idea that they value life less or something, the whole infanticide thing makes me not want to patronize China in general...Plus..aren't their planes crashing a lot?

I admit to having certain associations with certain airlines and it might not make sense. I never chose to fly Mexicano either...something about the cloud of smoke billowing out the back.

I like JAL cause the best seats are always open because the passengers never seem to change to an open better seat.

I heard Taipei is to be avoided at all costs if possible. Have no idea if that is true.

I like newish planes, I don't care about the service, I fly with everything I want.

KAL has great prices and they do fly to Manila 10 times a week. They fly Boeing 777's and they are nice. Service is good. We use them for most of our trips. They are okay.

Catherine, fyi, China Airlines is a Taiwainese airline, not a PRC one... :wink:

As a frequent flyer of Cathay, I hate them... but the service I'll have to admit is good even in cattle seats. If the prices are similiar, go with Cathay. Transiting in HKIA is also a big plus, sure beats Taipei and even Inchon (Seoul). China Airlines actually isn't that bad...

But KAL has the edge in terms of flight attendants... I like their new uniforms :wink:

I agree with all that recommened Cathay; if your used to flying US-based airlines all 3 will be superior to any thing you experience flying with the likes of Northwest or United.

The crews in Korean Air are much prettier than any others among your choices.:wink:

In addition,

BUSINESS TRAVELER SAYS KOREAN AIR IS #1 BIZ CLASS TO ASIA
(Los Angeles, CA – Dec. 7) - Korean Air has won best Asia/Transpacific business class service from Business Traveler magazine in its 18th annual Readers' Choice Best in Business travel survey.

“Korean Air flies from more cities in North America to more cities in Asia than any other airline,” said John Jackson, Korean Air’s marketing director. “We’ve been making significant fleet and service enhancements, and it’s great when our progress is recognized by such an important audience.”
The airline will receive its award at Business Traveler’s awards dinner in New York on Jan. 11, 2007.
Korean Air’s award-winning service includes ample sleeper seats, an array of meals attentively served on Wedgwood china, and on-demand inflight entertainment featuring 40+ films, 60+ short subjects and more then 200 audio selections controlled at each seat. Jackson said there’s no need for power adapters…each seat has a standard power outlet.
Business Traveler magazine randomly samples its subscriber base, allowing readers to recognize the companies who have made business travel more enjoyable. Conducted by a third-party agency, the annual survey covers nearly 50 categories that are important to business travelers.

Wow...business to the PI from the US has got to cost a mint!!! I have not flown business class in a while but it has to be above $3000 US or so. The good thing would be that you were flying in comfort and well rested once you got to Manila. KAL does have nice eye-candy onboard. THe real issue is their service and care. They are good.

Mind you one of there planes (KAL) recently landed on the taxi way of a Japanese airport (fortunately Akita is a pretty sleepy airport!)

Korean Airlines Boeing 737-900 lands on taxiway in Japan, delaying onward connections
By Leithen Francis

Japanese authorities are investigating an incident on 6 January in which a Korean Air (KAL) Boeing 737-900 landed on a 30m (98ft)-wide taxiway rather than on a runway.
A KAL spokeswoman in Seoul confirms the 737-900 landed on the 30m-wide taxiway, parallel to the runway, at Akita airport in the north of Japan’s main island.
It was a scheduled flight from Seoul Incheon to Akita and it was “raining at the time”, says the spokeswoman for the SkyTeam alliance carrier, who is unable to confirm the accuracy of Japanese news reports that quote the aircraft’s captain as admitting the incident was due to pilot error.
There was no damage to the aircraft and no injuries to the 124 passengers and eight crew on board, says the spokeswoman, adding that the Japanese authorities are now investigating.
She says the Japanese authorities took the pilots in for questioning after the aircraft landed at 12:30 on 6 January.
This meant passengers scheduled to board the Akita-Seoul Incheon flight later that same day were instead taken to Tokyo’s Haneda airport and caught KAL’s shuttle service to Seoul Gimpo, she adds

Back
Top Bottom