Airbuddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted a longer report on another thread, so I try to keep it brief here. I used the Air Buddy for a week in Bonaire and was quite pleased with it.

I used the inflator hose mounted model which required me to remove the Schrader valve from the inflator hose. The unit is small and weighs only a few ounces and so is quite streamlined. The unit did bubble a couple of times when I first got in the water, but a quick pinch ended this. When you bite down on the unit, it provides air under positive pressure meaning it will force air into your lungs which is different from normal regulator operation. I does provide sufficient air to continue diving and unlike normal regulators, does not have to be purged prior to breathing on it.

I was not able to master the side mouth exhalation shown in the instructions. I bit down on it, took in air and then pulled it out of my mouth to exhale. As it turns off when not bitten or pinched, this technique did not result in loss of air and allowed me to continue diving comfortably at depths of 20' to 40'.

In summary, its cheap ($40 at leisurepro), its small (a few ounces) and you can suck air out of it. Its allowed me to strip down my regulator to a mini pressure gauge, the primary second and inflator hose.

Back
Top Bottom