AirBNB paradox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gamon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone ever stay at a rental home during a scuba diving vacation (or any other vacation)?

My girlfriend and I stayed in an AirBNB this past weekend and encountered a paradox of almost Biblical proportions.

First, some background: The front door has a deadbolt lock that can be opened and closed from the inside of the house manually but can only be opened from outside the house via a small square combination pad on the door jamb.

Here's the instructions for checking in as per the AirBNB message from the owner/manager:

Please keep in mind checkout is STRICTLY 10am, no exceptions, as the cleaners come directly after and I will charge an entire day extra if the house is not unoccupied by 10:00am. The codes will NOT work (digitally programmed) after 10:00am which also means the door will be unlockable and you would be leaving them completely open - a serious security hazard for my home. Please hold the doors tightly closed while the lock is locking.

Now, if you've read and understand the instructions above, at 10 am sharp the door will become unlockable, meaning you cannot lock the door from the outside because the combination lock will be disabled and there will be no way to engage the deadbolt and the house will be left unsafe and the owner will be very unhappy.

This didn't happen to me, but hypothetically let's say it's 9:58 am, you walk out the door which is still lockable (or not yet unlockable) for another 2 minutes, and you punch the correct numbers on the keypad. The deadbolt swings into place, thus locking the door and securing the home to the satisfaction of the owner.

You go to your car but realize you left your favorite shirt hanging in the closet! You go back to the door which we have determined to be unlockable- but you cannot unlock the door because the keypad doesn't work as it's now 10:02 am.

So how is it possible within the confines of our known universe and all that it contains, that an unlockable door cannot be unlocked?

Your scenario is exactly what is expected. You locked it from outside before 10am and wanted to get back in after 10am. Since the housekeepers will clearly be there any minute, just wait and have them get your shirt or let you in to get it. I guess you could also live life on the edge and stay inside until 10:01 and then just wait for the housekeepers to lock the door, since they should be waiting outside at 10:02 lol....

Hardy har har, nice play on words.

I suppose a better phrase would be "the codes cease to function at 10am, so you would be unable to lock or unlock the door after this time." But the message was well conveyed and the practice is fair.

Well it depends upon how the lock actually works.

How many buttons on the keypad? Many of this style have 11 buttons. 0 through 9 and a single lock/unlock button.

A 4 digit code and the lock/unlock key will unlock the door. A single press of the lock/unlock key locks the door. No combo is required to lock the door. The door can be locked by anyone at anytime.

YMMV.

Most of these electronic locks have a master code and can set use codes. The cleaners will have the master code, it allows them to enter after you have left and will never change but the use code that they give you would change every user. If multiple units they can have single cleaner/master codes but every user gets a unique code good only for the one stay.

If it was me, I would tell you that it expires at 10 AM but really set it for something like 1030 to allow for differences in clocks. If you were still there when the cleaners show up, them I would charge you.

The warning simply states the door will be unlockable after 10:00. It does not say the door will unlock after 10:00.

Basically, at 10:00 the key code is set. You therefore cannot lock or unlock the door after 10:00. It if was locked at 9:58 it remains locked. It it was unlocked it remains unlocked. You have appeared to equate unlockable in the warning with unlocked. No paradox.

You have appeared to equate unlockable in the warning with unlocked. No paradox.

I equated unlockable in the warning with the door not being lockable.

The plot thickens

What does unlockable mean?

1. unlockable(Adjective)

Not capable of being locked.

2. unlockable(Adjective)

Capable of being unlocked.

I equated unlockable in the warning with the door not being lockable.

The plot thickens

What does unlockable mean?

1. unlockable(Adjective)

Not capable of being locked.

2. unlockable(Adjective)

Capable of being unlocked.

Taken in the context of the sentence the definition would have to be the first one. You would be unable to lock the door. The second definition would not apply because the door is not locked, again from the context of the warning.

The message I get from the warning is that the key code is reset at 10:00. Therefore if the door is not locked you cannot lock it. Conversely, if the door is locked you can't unlock it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom