Air XS Compatability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypertech

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just bought my wife a Hera BCD and she wants the Air XS. We are probably going to get another brand regulator (either Apeks xtx50 or aqualung mikron) as the dealer is close, friendly, and does not carry Oceanic.

How would I find out if the Air XS will be compatible with the first stage on these regulators so it will work properly? If I can't confirm it will be compatible, then I'll have to buy her an octo rather than the Air XS for the BCD.

I have a Hera also & had an Air XS. I used it on a SP MK25/S600. It breathed OK for an integrated safe second regulator. They are not meant to breathe very easy (prevents free flow) & are for emergency use. The Air XS has it's own hose with a special sized quick release that will not work with a regular BC inflater hose. However, if you can, you may have your wife try to see if she can work the inflate/ deflate buttons with one hand. I have rather short fingers & I could not reach the buttons with 1 hand. I would have to switch hands & re- grip to work the buttons. They just were not very conveniently placed for my hand size. I wound up going back to a regular inflater hose & octo & haven't looked back.

The Air XS should come with an inflator hose that connects to the first stage with a standard 3/8" thread, so hookup is no problem. If there is a free flow or hard breathing problem, the Air XS needs to be adjusted to your first stage. This is a very easy adjustment. I would buy the reg first, and then take it to the Oceanic dealer and have him adjust the Air XS as part of the purchase deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom