Air Source and BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

betty

Reaction score
I am new to diving so I don't know a lot about equipment yet. I have a Diva bcd and just bought a Sea Quest Air Source for it from Leisure Pro to replace the inflator. The box says I should have it professionally installed at a dive store. Is that really necessary? I thought I was going to be able to just screw it onto where the inflator used to be? I am hoping that one of you who knows about gear can give me a word of advice on this. I live where there are no dive shops handy.
Thanks.

I am also new to diving. I dont know much about equipment, but I do know one thing. In all my short time of diving, I have learned to get gear professionaly fixed, repaired, ect, NO MATTER HOW MINOR THE PROBLEM IS. I know a BCD is not direcly "life-support" equipment, but wouldn't you hate to break it and have to buy a whole new one? Whats $30-$40 compared to $350-$750? If I were you, I would spend the extra money to get it installed, espescially if you like your BCD.

Mike

Since you're inexperienced, go with having the dive shop put it on. That said, your BCD IS life support equipment and it's your life so after someone else installs something (be it your bud or a dive shop employee) test it, either in a tank or a pool, before letting your life hang on it. Now the following is guaranteed to draw some fire, but after you've dove for a while, there is absolutely nothing wrong with mounting your own alternate air source, AI computer, changing a hose, etc., just make sure you test the stuff after you do it for functionality, leaks, etc. Don't try to service the stuff that requires annual services to keep the warrantly alive, but the rest of our gear is pretty common sense and you owe it to yourself to know how it functions and where the o-rings are, etc. Familiarity with the gear comes with use/handling and that is also important when you're checking out rental/loaner gear. BTW, I strongly suggest you ask any dive shop guy for his credentials/tech tickets before he works on any of your gear.

hey betty,

actually, it depends on what form the airsource came in. i know of a shop who sells just the head unit of the airsource while other shops sell the entire thingy with the inflator hose already installed.

if it is the latter, i don't see why you can't screw the thing on yourself. i unscrew my inflator all the time in order for the water to drain out of my bc after washing and it looks idiot proof enough. no moving parts, no o-rings to pop out, heck, the worst that can happen is that i strip the threads.

that being said, you might want to check that the airsource reg does work before you jump into the water. that may have nothing to do with installing it onto the bc per se, but dive shops nearly always have an air tank around for you to test stuff with.

tomcat

Tomcat,

Thanks for your wisdom. It does have the hoses attached and I got it from leisure pro. It sure looks like all it needs is to be screwed on. That is what I am going to do and then when I go diving next month I will have the shop check it and make sure before I jump in the water. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom